UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2004 > Feb > Feb 4

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 5

From: John Hayes <webmaster.nul>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:27:28 +0000
Fwd Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:09:56 -0500
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 5

Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


Volume 9, Number 5
February 4, 2004
Editor: Joseph Trainor

E-mail: Masinaigan.nul
Web: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup


      "NASA scientists raved Sunday," January 25, 2004,
over dramatically new views of Mars, transmitted by the
rover Opportunity from within a small crater on the
planet's surface."
      "By coming to rest inside a crater, the golf-cart-
size rover fulfilled mission scientists' dream of a close-
up look at rock layers holding clues to the planet's
geologic past."
      "'We have scored a 300-million-mile interplanetary
hole-in-one,' chief mission scientist Steve Squyres said
at a Sunday afternoon new briefing.  'We are actually
inside a small impact crater.'"
      "Opportunity's flawless landing late Saturday night,"
January 24, 2004, "was followed only hours later by a
batch of photos revealing geological features more diverse
than those encountered by Opportunity's sister rover,
Spirit, three weeks ago."
      "While images from Spirit and previous Mars landers
have offered mundane scenery reminiscent of West Texas,
Opportunity's seemed more like postcards from the Martian
version of a national park."
      "Other sites have been littered with pebbles and
boulders, but Opportunity encountered a landscape with
jagged bedrock foundations jutting through a smooth
reddish-gray soil."
      "'It looks like nothing I've ever seen before in my
life,' Squres said early Sunday as the first images
appeared at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena,"
California.  "'I'm just blown away by all this.'"
      "Opportunity's successful landing made NASA two-for-
two in delivering the twin spacecraft making up the $820
million Mars exploration mission."
      All last week, "the rover Opportunity continued to
beam back intriguing postcards and panoramic images of its
eerie new home in a shallow Martian crater."
      "The NASA rover rests in a smooth-bottomed, 6-foot
(1.7-meter) deep crater on the opposite side of Mars from
Spirit, the ailing rover that landed January 3 (2004).
Opportunity is located on Meridani Planum, a plain
(prairie in the USA--J.T.) the size of Oklahoma that is
notable for its layers of hematite, a mineral that on
Earth is usually produced near hot springs."
      "'Pretty spectacular landscape; it's turning out to
be a fascinating place,' said the mission panoramic camera
chief, Jim Bell of Cornell University."
      "NASA's Opportunity rover stretched out its rear
wheels Thursday," January29, 2004, "in preparation for
rolling onto the surface of Mars.  Except for its robotic
arm, Opportunity finished unfolding and standing up from
its landing position and was ready to travel the final 10
feet (3 meters) from its lander to the surface of Mars."
      "Engineers consider roll-off the riskiest maneuver of
the surface portion of each mission."
      "The rover Opportunity took its first roll on Martian
soil early Saturday morning," January 31, 2004, "and
scientists offered the most tantalizing evidence so far
that the landing site once lay in liquid water."
      "While ice still exists near the poles, most of Mars,
including the equatorial region where the Opportunity set
down, is devoid of water, liquid or frozen.  But some
scientists believe Mars was warm and wet early in its
history and may have possessed an environment where life
could have arisen."
      "At a news conference Saturday at NASA's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, Dr. Philip Christensen, a professor
of geological sciences at Arizona State University,
confirmed that an instrument on the Opportunity had
detected the iron oxide hematite in the dark pebbles and
gravel that dot the landing site."
      "Furthermore, Dr. Christensen, the lead scientist for
the instrument, said, 'I think the preliminary evidence is
consistent with hematite forming at low temperatures in
chemical reactions with water."
      "The instrument, known as the mini-thermal emission
spectrometer looks at infrared light radiated from the
rocks and soils."
      Opportunity's landing site in Meridani Planum is
about 6,600 miles (10,560 kilometers) from Spirit's
landing site, Gusev Crater.  (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
Tribune for January 26, 2004, "Second Mars rover scores
'hole in one,' pages 1A and 5A; and for February 1, 2004,
"Rover finds further hints of Mars' moist history," page
5A.  Also USA Today for January 27, 2004, "Mars crater is
a land of Opportunity," page 13A and for January 30, 2004,
"Opportunity prepares for jaunt on Mars," page 3A.)


      On Thursday, January 29, 2004, NASA "said
Opportunity's twin, Spirit, 'will be perfect again' after
repairs of crippling software problems."
      "Engineers continued to make progress on the Spirit
rover, which has been sidelined for more than a week" in
Gusev Crater.  They were preparing to wipe its memory
clean of science and engineering files that have stymied
its software, said Jennifer Trosper," Spirit's mission
      "Spirit resumed acquiring data Thursday, using its
panoramic camera to focus on two rocks scientists have
called Cake and Blanco."
      "Spirit landed in Gusev Crater, a 95-mile (152-
kilometer) depression that once may have contained a
      The rover's "failure to follow orders from Earth was
beginning to look like a glitch familiar to many earthly
computer users...Somebody forgot to dump all those old
files--leaving an electronic clutter so confusing that at
one point the rover began reporting data it thought it had
gathered on Mars in 2053."
(Editor's Comment:  Most intriguing!  Did Spirit pass
through a time warp that took it fifty years into the
      "Mission manager Jennifer Trosper says there is
growing conviction that Spirit's erratic behavior--at
times verging on outright disobedience to orders from
mission control--was the result of electronic baggage left
over from its 300-million-mile journey through space."
      "Once Spirit was safely on Martian soil, most of the
'cruise files' stored in its computer memory were of no
real value for surface operations."
      "Engineers were then horrified to find that the
rover's flash memory, for reasons unknown, had retained
hundreds of files containing flight data and was still
juggling them along with the daily flood of new data from
its activities in Mars' Gusev Crater."
      "'We're going to do a lot more debugging today, but
we're getting ready to delete a large number of cruise
files on Spirit,' Trosper said, 'And in the future, we are
going to be much more conscious of the limitations.'"
(See USA Today for January 30, 2004, "Opportunity prepares
for jaunt on Mars," page 3A; and the Duluth, Minn. News-
Tribune for January 27, 2004, "Electronic clutter confuses
Mars rover," page 6A.


      The silver-grey UFO Roundup mystery van was seen and
photographed by several people in northern Arizona last
      Ufologist Mike Fortson reported, "I've been reading
about the van for some time now, so I was really floored
when my customer told me she saw it Saturday (January 24,
2004) in Prescott Valley, Arizona (population 23,535).
And it scared the living hell out of her!"
      The silver-grey van, which carries the Web site
address of UFO Roundup's parent site, UFO INFO, has been
seen in various states of the USA since 1998, when it
first appeared in Warsaw, Indiana.  The van is not the
property of either UFO INFO webmaster John Hayes or UFO
Roundup editor Joseph Trainor.  At present, the owner and
operator of the mystery van is unknown.
      Mike Fortson is a regional sales manager who lives in
Gilbert, Arizona (population 109,697), a city just
southeast of Phoenix.  He added, "My customer has known me
for 12 years.  She knows I'm quite active in UFOs and the
weird stuff that goes on in northern Arizona.  So she felt
comfortable telling me.  She was placing an order when she
told me what she saw."
      "They were pulling out of the Wal-Mart parking lot"
in Prescott Valley "and the van immediately drew their
attention.  It was one of those extended vans, silver
grey, and had U.S. government markings, and the license
plate was from Georgia.  The top of the van was covered
with small satellite dishes.  And there were many radio
antennae, as well."
      "There were two occupants in the front seat.  Both
were in military uniform.  There were no windows on the
side of the van other than the driver and passenger
(seats).  The van had the markings of Delta Force."
      Also last week, ufologist Bill Hamilton of Arizona
MUFON contacted UFO Roundup and reported, "Your fancy van
advertising your website was spotted and photographed in
Bagdad, Arizona (population 1,578)," a small town at the
end of Highway 96 in the Aquarius Mountains, located about
40 miles (64 kilometers) west of Prescott Valley.
      "If not yours, you are getting free advertising,"
Bill added, "I have been sent half a dozen pics
(photographs of the van) in all."

[See website bulletin for photos]

      Arizona MUFON is investigating the sightings and
trying to learn the identity of the van's owner/operator.
(Email Form Reports)


      A tall, extremely thin, humanoid alien was spotted on
North Hagen Road in Manchester, Indiana on Saturday,
January 24, 2004, at 7:30 p.m.
      According to ufologist Kenny Young, "a 17-year-old
motorist traveling about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of
Aurora, Indiana (population 3,965) at night claims to have
encountered an unusual 'figure' in the roadway."
      "The witness lives in Manchester, Ind. and is a
senior at South Dearborn High School.  He has one sister
enrolled in college and lives at home with his mother and
father," Kenny reported.
      "While driving his black, two-door 1999 Chevrolet
Cavalier southbound along North Hagen Road, a 'figure' was
spotted in the headlights of the automobile as it was
crouched down near a puddle of water.  From the driver's
perspective, the 'figure' was spotted out of the
windshield on the right side of the car."
      "'I passed it and looked in the rear-view mirror,' he
      "After passing the frail-looking figure, the driver
looked into his rear-view mirror and again observed--
illuminated by the tail lights of his car--what he
described as a tall, abnormal figure that moved strangely
with pointed joints (elbows, knees and heels--J.T.) that
'buckled out.'  He estimated that the 'figure' stood about
6 feet, 7 inches (2 meters) tall."
      "'I don't know what it was,' he said, 'It had
protruding joints and moved very strangely.'"
      "The driver said he was able to ascertain (that) the
figure, alleged to be dark gray or black and 'pencil
thin,' stood up and took several steps toward the woods
along the roadside."
      "The 'figure' definitely walked on two legs and was
thought, somehow, to be male, although no clothing was
observed.  No face or eyes could be seen, but the witness
had the impression that the 'figure' was looking straight
at him."
      "The driver continued on for a small distance after
passing the figure and finally put on his brakes, coming
to a stop at an estimated 'two-minute' walking distance
from the location of the sighting.  He looked back to
further observe the entity."
      "At this point, a second car came into view,"
approaching from the south, "and then reached the spot on
the road where the 'figure' was thought to be.  The 17-
year-old motorist reportedly watched closely" as the
second car swerved at that spot.  "Then the car turned
around and pulled up beside him on the grass."
      "An elderly couple was in the car, both of them in
their late 60s or early 70s.  The (male) driver, who wore
glasses, said, 'Boy, did you see something back there?
I'll tell you right now--that was no person.'"
      "'It was no person,'" the female in the front
passenger seat said, "'It was no man.'"
      "The elderly couple were reportedly 'spooked' but
offered to follow the first witness down North Hagen Road
to his destination at a friend's house."  There "he called
home to tell his mother of the encounter, advising her to
lock her doors," and then called his uncle.
      Kenny Young interviewed the uncle, Jerry Schedel, who
"traveled to the area with his wife some 90 minutes later
but did not see anything."
      "'I have no explanation for what that thing was,'
Schedel said, 'I think it must have been some type of
      Manchester, Ind. is on Route 48 in Dearborn County,
about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Columbus.
(Many thanks to Kenny Young for this news story.)


      "Juan Berrios, a 40-year-old (bus) driver and old-
fashioned Chilean (Roman) Catholic has never driven his
vehicle again since his run-in with the monster."
      "'He reached the truck stop in a state.  His legs
trembled,' said one of his co-workers, half-jokingly, at
the same time he made the Sign of the Cross--just in
      "Until two weeks ago, the barrio Santa Filomena was
nothing more than a long and lonely alleyway in the
village of Viluco in Buin," a city located 50 miles (80
kilometers) south of Santiago, the capital of Chile,
"where the peace was disturbed only by vehicles driving
past it at high speed."
      "The town is beginning to shake off its lethargy, not
because of the arrival of unstoppable modernity but
because of the appearance of an indescribably bizarre
creature that hops across the streets with some small
wounded animal in its maw and which has been seen by the
drivers on the Buin-Maipo route, who decided to speak
after experiencing real fear."
      "On (Monday) January 5 (2004) at 5:15 a.m., Berrios
was driving through Santa Filomena toward the Las
Vertientes (bus) terminal when he suddenly noticed a
strange figure in the middle of the road 70 meters (231
feet) away.  He rubbed his eyes and kept going.  Some five
meters (16 feet) away, the figure reappeared, and the
shock of the horrible sight almost caused him to lose
control of the vehicle."
      "'I have never seen anything like.  It had something
like a dog bleeding in its muzzle, and it lost itself in
the bushes in a single leap,' he told his co-workers
minutes later.  He was believed, just from the expression
of indescribable panic on his face."
      "After his second road trip, he was intercepted by
another driver, Juan Maulan, who took him aside and asked
him to describe the monster.  After a few minutes, Maulan
confessed, 'Yes, it's the same one.'"
      "It was a bipedal animal standing 1.5 meters (4 feet,
6 inches) tall, with hind legs like those of a kangaroo,
small curved hands (forepaws) ending in talons, a sharp
mane (of spines) like that of a porcupine running along
its back, a tail with a rattle, a muzzle like that of a
fierce wolf, several rows of teeth and voracious red
      "'It jumps a lot,' said Maulan, 'It can easily jump 5
meters (16 feet).'"
      "He had kept quiet out of fear of being dubbed the
local madman.  'I almost died of fright.  I had to go out
in the morning just like Berrios, when I suddenly saw this
thing in the middle of the road.  I slowed down and the
beast stared at me.  It took some time to look me up and
down and then jumped aside,' he recalled very calmly, now
certain that the beast exists.  Just to give the thing a
name, he says it could well be the Chupacabra."
      "'I think it's a hoax.  I've been living here 35
years, and the nearest thing to monsters I've seen are old
men riding bicycles,' said Rosa Marileo, widow of Roberto
Nancur and mother of five children.  'This has been
circulating for a long time.  Everyone says that when the
monster comes out, it does so in the morning, and I
wouldn't dream of walking around at that time because this
street is pitch black,' she added, bringing the
conversation to a close."
      "At Cerro Cullipeumo (mountain) on the border of Las
Vertientes in Buin, some abandoned gold mines from the
1950s could prove to be the lair of the 'Viluco Monster,'
a singular beast with a kangaroo-shaped body and a wolf's
muzzle that terrorizes local farmers and has a remarkable
resemblance to the legendary Chupacabra."
      "'El Dinamita' and 'El Fena,' assistants at the Buin-
Maipo bus line, claim two drivers came across the creature
in lonely Santa Filomena and told (the newspaper) La
Cuarta that they have been hearing stories from old-timers
about a monstrous beast living in the forgotten gold
      "'As soon as we're ready, we'll take a look.  The
groundskeepers, old men who've worked there all their
lives, always say that strange stuff goes on in that
mountain.  They even say that those who poke their noses
in too deeply never come back,' said 'El Dinamita,' who
was itching to venture into the abandoned mines."
      "Anibal Montes, also known as 'El Viejo Choclera,'
confirmed through stories told by Don Ramon, eldest of the
group, that mystery has long surrounded Cerro Cullipeumo.
'Shadows can be seen running uphill, vanishing into the
mine and disappearing.  But this is nothing new.  It's
been going on for many years.'"  (See the Chilean
newspaper La Cuarta for January 29, 2004, "Kangaroo-legged
monster threatens Buin," and for January 30, 2004, "Viluco
Monster may hide in abandoned mine."  Muchas gracias a
Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para estos articulos de
(Editor's Comment: Hmmmm, this looks like a job for...Cave


      "In January (2004) alone, over 10 UFO sightings have
been reported in San Jose de Maipo," south of Santiago de
Chile, not far from Buin, the site of the Chupacabra
      "No one knows why they appear, but the fact is that
strange lights cross the area (of the Rio Maipo--J.T.)
regularly, to the extent that the residents of Cajon del
Maipo consider it a normal occurrence."
      "So frequent are the sightings of this phenomenon
over the skies of Cajon del Maipo that local residents
consider it a part of their daily routine."
      "Oscar Farias, who lives in Las Vertientes, said both
he and his wife, Maritza Valero, have repeatedly seen UFOs
in the foothills of the Cordillera."
      "'We've seen truly remarkable spheres and flying
saucers,' Oscar said, 'Only two weeks ago, with my cousin
and around 8 a.m., we saw a silver saucer in the El Alto
del Canelo sector, moving at an average speed and losing
itself in the west.'"
      "Patricia Aros, 37, works for a service corporation
and claims having seen strange lights in the higher
reaches of Cajon del Maipo on a regular basis.  'It's
common to see large and small lights moving over the
area,' she said, 'I no longer fear them.  We aren't alone
in this immense universe, and if these otherworldly beings
intended to harm us, they would've done so already.  I
think we should be eventually prepared for what's going to
happen in the future.  Who knows if tomorrow human
civilization will establish contact with beings from other
      "Even San Jose de Maipo's mayor, Miguel Marquez
Olivarez, witnessed a 'filmworthy' close encounter when he
was literally assaulted by a UFO."
      "'On this occasion, I was in the Del Ingenio sector,
driving my pickup truck with my family and a group of
friends (as passengers--J.T.), when we suddenly saw an
oval-shaped vehicle issuing multi-hued lights of great
intensity as it hovered over the village.  Suddenly, in a
matter of seconds, the strange object took off and hovered
above us, killing my truck's engine.  It lit up a radius
of 4 kilometers (2.4 miles) with an intense white light
which could be seen as far as the town of San Gabriel.'"
      "'The experience was truly intense even though it
lasted no more than a minute,'" Marquez said, "'Because,
from one moment to another, the light shut itself off, and
the phenomenon vanished.'"  (Muchas gracias a Scott
Corrales para esas noticias.)


      On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 11 p.m., Daniel D.
was outdoors in the city of Fortaleza, in Ceara state,
Brazil when "I spotted a UFO sitting stationary in the
southwestern sky."
      "It was a small oblong white object seen as clouds
passed by.  It did not move, and it did not look or behave
like a kite.  It remained long enough for me to go
upstairs, get my Kodak 35mm camera, come downstairs and
snap a photograph.  I would estimate that it was 45
degrees above the southwestern horizon.  I did not see it
approach or depart.  It appeared in the clear portion of
the night sky.  Then the next cloud passed, and it was
      Fortaleza is on Brazil's Atlantic Ocean coast,
located about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) northeast of
Brasilia, the national capital.  (Email Form Report)


      On Monday, January 15, 2004, at 8:55 a.m., Fabrice M.
reported, "I had coffee on my terrace before going to
work" in Cannes, a seaport city in the department Alpes
Maritimes in southern France.  "I often look up at the
sky.  Moreover, I had viewed things in the past, but I had
no camera."
      This time was different.  "As soon as I saw the
strange light hovering in the sky, I took my digital
camera, a Nikon Coolpix 5700 with an 8X zoom, and took
some pictures of what I saw.  Then the brilliant shape
left in the reverse direction, at a slow speed.  There
were no clouds where the UFO was.  On the other hand,
there were clouds over the (Mediterranean) sea, and some
sunbeams managed to pass through these clouds.  The UFO
had an oval shape, and it was about 3 kilometers (2 miles)
away, I think."

{See website bulletin for photos]

      Cannes is 200 kilometers (120 miles) east of
Marseilles.  (Merci beaucoup a Robert Fischer pour ces
nouvelles de OVNI.)


      "A mysterious photograph has sparked a UFO frenzy in
the city's (Melbourne, capital of Victoria state,
Australia) north."
      "Both believers and sceptics are scratching their
heads over a picture, snapped in Beveridge, Vic. by a
council officer last week."
      "Whittlesea Council is considering informing NASA and
has already sent the image to Australian authorities."
      "The photographer, Whittlesea Council traffic
engineer Roland Rozario, said he could not explain the
digital photo, which shows a small round object passing
through the top right side of the frame."
      "Mr. Rozario said he and a colleague were doing a
routine check of a railway level crossing about 2 p.m. on
Thursday, January 15 (2004)."
      "'We didn't see or hear anything when we were there,'
he said, 'I took about 10 to 12 photos, looking east and
      "'Then I came back to the office, downloaded the
images and noticed an object in one photo.'"
      "'I still don't know what it is.  I passed it around
the office, and people don't know what it was.  A few said
it didn't look like a bird, an aircraft or even a bug in
front of the camera.'"
      "Mr. Rozario said a train passed through the crossing
just seconds after the photograph was taken and believes a
passenger may have spotted something in the sky."
      "Whittlesea Council's communications officer, Jim
Linton, sent the image to the Chief Defence Scientist,
(Australia's) Defence Science and Technology Organisation
and the Civil Aviation Authority."
      "Weather bureau senior forecaster Peter Blake said
the photograph did not look like anything meteorological."
      "'It almost looks like a plane from the rear.  It
certainly isn't a weather balloon,' Mr. Blake said."
      "Local flying saucer experts also struggled to
explain the photograph."
      "Victorian UFO Research scientific director Bernard
Wilson said the group needed more information in order to
make a full assessment."
      "'There are some interesting aspects to the photo.
The sun reflections from the object and the rails appear
to be fairly consistent,' he said, 'There appears to be
some motion blur to the left of the image which might
indicate a fast moving object.'"
      "But the Australian UFO Research Network (AUFORN)
Victoria director George Simpson said a digital photograph
was not considered acceptable evidence of a flying
      "'They cannot be verified.  They are too easily
manipulated on the computer, and you don't have a
negative,' he said."
      "Mr. Simpson said he had not heard of any other
sighting in Melbourne's north.  But he said a local member
will investigate the sighting for his group."  (See the
Australian newspaper Herald-Sun of Melbourne for January
24, 2004.  Many thanks to Jim Hickman and Mary Lou Jones-
Drown for this newspaper article.)



      Concerning rumors of an Antarctic Reich (See UFO
Roundup, volume 9, number 3, "1944: Secrets of the
Antarctic Reich," page 8), David Grey of Australia writes,
"What I think they did is put Hitler and Eva (Braun) on a
near-light-speed craft, accelerating them to 99.9 percent
of the speed of light, and then orbiting our solar system
for the appropriate time until they return to their
underground base in Antarctica."
      "Surely, no body of the most-hated Dictator?  Surely
they must have done experiments on how long it would take
to burn (with petrol--D.G.) two bodies to a point where
they could no longer be recognized.  I have to wonder if
repatriating Hitler and his henchmen was done for
scientists and spies is not beyond question.  Mr. Bush's
grandfather will have to explain a lot."
      "Thanks for your report.  Strangely, I saw with my
girlfriend two very bright 'stars' around late December
(2003).  They were already way high up and tracing a large
erratic arc (not moving as a satellite or meteorite--D.G.)
The speed and brightness ruled out any type of plane.  Two
of them were about an outstretched hand in the sky.  I
live in Melbourne and have never seen anything I could
call a UFO before.  The two objects had no other
description than 'unidentified.'"
      "Anyway, something is going on up there.
Intervention in our planet's affairs seems to have been
common enough in our past.  Now we need it in a positive
manner.  To my end, the UFO 'people' might as well make
themselves known, or the planet will be f***ed anyway."
      "Have a good New Year.  I hope this is the Big One."


      Concerning the story on Al-Qaeda and Dr. Ayman al-
Zawahiri (See UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 4, "February
2: Zawahiri's day of destiny?" page 16), Lee Graves of
Montana wrote, "I have been a Mason for over 30 years, and
Grand Historian of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Montana
seven years, and this is the absolute first I have ever
heard of Jachin and Boaz stemming from the twin pillars of
      "All Masonic lodges have the two pillars, 'the one on
the right hand and the other on the left, called Jachin
and Boaz.'  And they represent the pillars in the temple
of King Solomon.  In lodges, they are usually placed in
front of the Senior Warden's station, in the west."
      "I do find it interesting that the Twin Towers of New
York have any Masonic connotations for anyone.  And who is
Hoagland, by the way?  But, of course, one can read
anything into anything one chooses."
      "Perhaps God is a Freemason, too, since he created
the constellation Gemini, or the Twins."
      "Honestly, let's get serious.  Freemasonry has no
more of an interest by Al-Qaeda than the man in the moon."
      "I hope this clarifies the Pillars myth."

 From the UFO Files...


      Tuesday, February 21, 1919, dawned cold and grey in
Munich, with the threat of snow.  The World War One
armistice was exactly 100 days old, and this south German
city, capital of the state of Bayern (Bavaria), continued
to be wracked by food shortages, political rioting and
postwar unrest.
      "On the morning of the twenty-first a young officer
named Anton von Arco-Valley had himself awakened early by
the chambermaid of his pension (bed-and-breakfast inn in
the USA--J.T.)  He instructed her to lay out the warm
clothing while he bathed, because, he said, 'it will
probably be cold in the jail cell.'"
      "She did not take the remark seriously.  Anton Arco-
Valley was a handsome young man and a Count; he frequently
made scathing remarks about the unsatisfactory state of
affairs in Munich and his intention to do something about
it.  Walburga Kaestele, the maid, did not believe that so
charming a youth as Count Anton, known as 'Toni,' actually
intended to harm anyone.  But he did."
      Born in 1897, the year of worldwide sightings of UFOs
(then called airships--J.T.), Anton's feelings for Germany
"were perhaps all the more intense because both King and
Fatherland were adoptive, his birthplace having been
Austria."  At age 18, he had enlisted in the 1st Bavarian
Cavalry Regiment, served on the Eastern Front in World War
I, became a lieutenant "and was badly wounded and
      For Anton, the end of the war had been traumatic.  He
had been part of the victorious German army that had
imposed harsh peace terms on Lenin's Russia at Brest-
Litovsk.  But then, on November 7, 1918, a socialist
revolution toppled the Bavarian state government.  Two
days later, Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated and fled to the
Netherlands.  Two days after that, the new German
government surrendered to the Allies at Compiegne in
      During the train ride home from Kiev, Anton read the
proclamation from Kurt Eisner, the new Minister-President
(governor) of Bavaria and leader of the anti-war
Independent Socialists.  The words made his blood boil.
      "Soldiers, demobilization has not yet begun...The
officers come back to you not as your superiors but as
soldiers who wish to work for the common good of our
people.  You are not obliged to salute them on or off
duty...The soldiers' soviet of Munich reminds officers at
all times to remain aware of the new spirit of the Free
People's State of Bavaria, to remove shoulder straps, to
recognize a fait accompli and work as hard for it as have
the soldiers since their victorious revolution..."
      What was this "new spirit?"  One of its leaders,
Ernst Toller, described it as "the revolution of love."
The revolution's "leaders, many of them Jewish, were
pacifist intellectuals and literati, most notable among
them Kurt Eisner, a fearful-looking gnome of a man with a
mop of unkempt shoulder-length hair, a wild and ragged red
beard, and myopic eyes behind pince-nez."
      Ignoring the proclamation, Anton stepped down from
the train in full uniform.  He was immediately attacked by
a group of Spartacist soldiers.  They yanked off his
shoulder straps, insignia and medals, tearing his feldgrau
      Holed up at the pension, Anton brooded about the war
and seethed with indignation.  He wanted revenge for his
humiliation at the train station, and so he found his way
to the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten (Translated: Four Seasons
Hotel) and began attending the Saturday meetings of the
Thule Gesellschaft (Thule Society).
      Thule was the brainchild of Adam Rudolf Glauer (1875-
1945), a railroad engineer's son from Hoyerswerda.  An
enthusiastic disciple of Madame Blavatsky, Adam changed
his name to Rudolf von Sebottensdorff, promoted himself to
freiherr (baron) and became an accomplished astrologer and
occultist.  For years he had lived in Turkey, where "he
had been able to spend time reading Oriental philosophy
and Theosophical writings, as well as engaging in Sufi
      "He acknowledged that he had been a Knight of the
Masonic Order of Contantine" in Istanbul.  "Turkish
Freemasonry, it seemed, had kept the ancient Aryan wisdom
intact.  'It must be shown,' said Sebottendorff, 'that
Oriental Freemasonry still retains faithfully even today
the ancient teachings of wisdom forgotten by modern
Freemasonry, whose Constitution of 1717 was a departure
from the true way.'"
      In no time at all, Thule became a magnet for New
Agers, mystics, clairvoyants, disciples of Guido von List,
adepts of Jorg Lanz von Liebenfels' Order of the New
Templars, curiosity-seekers, right-wingers and groupies.
The Society on its way up, having just moved from a cellar
on the Zweigstrasse to the ballroom of the posh Four
Seasons Hotel, with its seating for 300.  "Grand Master"
Sebottendorff was the hottest thing since Annie Besant.
      Listening to Sebottendorff speak..."We don't
acknowledge the brotherhood of people, only the blood
brotherhood.  We want the freedom not of herds but of
duty.  We hate the propaganda of equality.  Struggle is
the father of all things.  Equality is death...", Count
Anton Arco auf Valley, age 22, felt that he had come home.
He introduced himself to the "baron" and asked to join.
      "We test for race purity," Sebottendorff explained,
"The one-year probationary period is only the first level
in the new member's initiation.  He must take a
ritualistic vow of absolute obedience and loyalty to the
Master of the Lodge.  Symbolically, this signifies the
return of the lost Aryan to the German family."
      Uh-oh...problem!  Way back in 1841, Anton's mother's
father had married a Jewish woman.  Anton flunked the
"racial purity" test.  Membership denied.
      Now it's a question of who does Anton hate more--
Sebottendorff or Kurt Eisner.
"...rejected by the Thule Society as racially unfit.  Not
quite thoroughbred by the standards he most admired, not
fully accepted where he most passionately wished to
belong, Count Anton Arco-Valley resolved to prove himself
the genuine article in the eyes of everyone, and his own."
      On February 21, 1919, "freshly bathed and warmly
clothed, he telephoned the Diet (Bavarian parliament
building)" and, posing as a newspaper reporter, asked what
time Eisner was expected to arrive.  The Minister-
President would arrive at 10 a.m. to address the assembly,
he was told, and afterward there would be a press
      Strolling through Munich, Anton spied one of Thule's
political handbills nailed to a telephone pole.  He
recognized it as the work of Dietrich Eckart, Thule's
morphine-addicted "minister of information."  Eckart had
stolen the headline right out of Schiller's Wilhelm Tell.
It read, "Mach hurtig, Landvogt, deine Uhr ist
(Translated: "Make haste, Governor, your time has run
      Continuing on his journey, Anton thought about all
the strange people he'd met at Thule.  There was Eckart,
of course, and Dr. George Gaubatz, president of Bavaria's
Audubon Society, never without his gold swastika jewelry,
and Johannes Hering, leader of the Pan-Germans, and Anton
Drexler, the labor activist who was kicked out of the
railroad workers' union and went on to found his own
Deutsches Arbeiterspartei (Translated: German Workers'
Party).  Sebottendorff let the DAP hang around the Four
Seasons Hotel because Drexler had no money to rent a hall
of his own.
      "At 9:45, Arco-Valley stationed himself in a doorway
on the Promenade Platz where he knew the Minister-
President would pass on his way to the Diet.  He took the
safety catch off the revolver in his right-hand overcoat
pocket, and waited."
      Let Sebottendorff cast his runes and play with his
zodiac, Anton thought, I'm going to do what needs to be
      "Toward 10 o'clock Eisner emerged from the Foreign
Ministry on the Promenade Platz and began walking toward
the Diet building in the nearby Pranner Strasse.  His
months in office had done nothing to improve his
appearance.  With his floppy black hat and flagrantly
unkempt beard, he still looked like the eternal Bohemian
heading for a favorite cafe, rather than a Minister-
President on his way" to make a major speech.  "For
escort, he was accompanied only by a sailor and by his
secretary, the journalist Felix Fechenbach.  About forty
people were loitering around the square, some of them
Spartacist followers of Eisner."
      "Spotting his quarry, Arco-Valley drew his revolver
and darted from the doorway.  He closed in swiftly from
behind and fired two shots," crying, "Vive la boheme!"
(Editor's Note:  This was the phrase uttered by the French
anarchist Ravachole in 1894.  By the way, Ravachole has a
walk-on in Nicole Kidman's movie Moulin Rouge.  He's the
weird-beard musician who throws a bomb at the stage in the
climax.  Listen closely and you'll hear his trademark
      "One bullet entered Eisner's brain, the other
piercing his lungs through the back.  He sank to the
pavement and died on the spot in a pool of blood."
      "The sailor wheeled and began firing at Arco-Valley
hitting him where he stood and four more times as he lay
on the sidewalk.  Some of the bystanders who came swarming
to the scene began kicking him in the face and body, and
trampling him.  They meant to kill him, and thought they
had, but he survived."
      Not quite so fortunate were Major von Jahreiss and a
delegate named Osel, who died half an hour later in the
"Tuesday Morning Massacre."
      Thule member Walter Nauhaus sought out Sebottendorff
and told him about the killings, adding, "This city has
gone crazy!"  Sebottendorff was dumbfounded, but Johannes
Hering had an idea.  He began distributing firearms from
his hidden stash to Thule members.  As an afterthought, he
handed them out to Drexler's DAP people, too.
      So it was that the DAP's newest member, Adolf Hitler,
received a sawed-off KAR-98 rifle, a weapon that saved his
life in the weeks to come.
      Meanwhile, Anton lay in hospital, moaning, "Let me
die."  The surgeon paid him no heed and began extracting
the bullet fragments.
      The aftermath was a Bavarian version of the O.J.
Simpson trial.  Anton stood unrepentant in the dock.
"During the war, I shot Bolshevik Jews in the Ukraine, and
I was given a medal.  I shoot one here, and suddenly I'm a
bum.  Where is the justice in that?  Kurt Eisner was the
grave-digger of the Fatherland, and I'm glad he's dead.  I
despised and hated him from my heart.  Yes, I shot and
killed that Elder of Zion.  Go thou and do likewise."
      The court swiftly returned a verdict of guilty.  The
sentence was death.
      Anton's plight became a cause celebre on the right.
One of his most vehement supporters was 19-year-old
Heinrich Himmler, who urged his father "to join the
Bayerische Volkspartei" and rescue Anton "before it's too
      Dr. Gebhard Himmler the same opinion as the
Munchener-Augsburger Abendzeitung (newspaper), which
denounced Anton for "turning the Fatherland into Serbia."
      Young Himmler confided his rescue plan to his girl
friend, Maria "Maja" Loritz.  He was going to hop on his
motorcycle and ride up the steps of Munich's Landhaus,
with his shotgun blazing.  Sort of like Arnold
Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
      Not surprisingly, Maja dumped Heini and found another
      Then the courts agreed to hear Anton's appeal.  To
the assassin's surprise, his sentence was commuted to life
imprisonment.  In 1920, he entered the prison at Landsberg
am Lech.
      Four years later, he was ousted from his private cell
by the newest "celebrity prisoner," the leader of the
abortive "Beer Hall Putsch"...Adolf Hitler.
      Freed on parole in the early 1930s, Anton entered
obscurity.  But only for a short while.  In June 1934, he
was arrested by none other than Heinrich Himmler, the very
man who had plotted to rescue him 14 years earlier.
      "According to Himmler the reason was that the Count
had 'on his own admission planned a coup against the Reich
Chancellor, Adolf Hitler.'"
      Anton was taken to Dachau, where he remained a
prisoner until he was freed by the U.S. Army in March
      However, he did not enjoy his freedom for very long.
A few weeks later, while walking along a roadside in
Bavaria, Anton was struck by a speeding U.S. Army jeep.
He died in a nearby hospital at the age of 48.
      The day Anton donned his overcoat, put a revolver in
the right-hand pocket, and set out for the Promenade
Platz, the Armistice was 100 days old.  Nobody knew it at
the time, but, at 10 a.m. on February 21, 1919, Count
Anton von Arco auf Valley fired the first shots of World
War II.  (See the books The Weimar Chronicle by Alex de
Jonge, Paddington Press Ltd., London, 1978, pages 50 and
51; Munich 1923: The Story of Hitler's First Grab for
Power by John Dornberg, Harper and Row, New York, N.Y.,
1982, pages 38 and 39; Putsch! How Hitler Made Revolution
by Richard Hanser, Peter H. Wyden Inc., New York, N.Y.,
1970, pages 160 to 163; The Nazis and the Occult by Dusty
Sklar, Dorset Press, New York, N.Y., 1977, pages 27 to 39;
and Unholy Alliance by Peter Levenda, Continuum Books, New
York, N.Y., second edition 2002, pages 46, 47 and 73 to
(Editor's Comment:  We once had a case like this in the
USA.  On August 2, 1876, Jack McCall rushed into the
Pioneer Saloon No. 10 in Deadwood, South Dakota and shot
James Butler Hickock, better known as "Wild Bill Hickock,"
in the back of the head while he was playing poker.  The
only difference is, when Jack squeezed the trigger, he
yelled, "You son of a bitch!" not "Vive la boheme!"
McCall wasn't considered a hero for shooting Wild Bill
Hickock--quite the opposite, in fact.  You can read all
about l'affaire Deadwood in that great book by Loren D.
Estleman, Aces and Eights.)

      Well, that's it for this week.  Join us in seven days
for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
-UFO Roundup."  See you next time.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
rights reserved.  Readers may post news items from UFO
Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan.nul>
or use the Sighting Report Form at:


Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster.nul>

UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.

UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
the bulletin in error, please write to:


With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com