UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 2002 > Jun > Jun 26

Re: UFO Frauds - Part II - Easton

From: James Easton <voyager@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:33:57 +0100
Fwd Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:16:09 -0400
Subject: Re: UFO Frauds - Part II - Easton


 >From: Kevin Randle <KRandle993@aol.com>
 >To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@virtuallystrange.net>
 >Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:50:34 EDT
 >Subject: Re: UFO Frauds - Part II - Randle

Kevin wrote:

 >Larry Warren was not at Bentwaters on the two nights of the UFO
 >activities there. I have seen the video taped interview in which
 >Warren said that he was in Germany for the first two nights, but
 >he was there for the third. And I have a copy of the audio tape
 >discussion with Colonel Halt in which Warren says that he
 >doesn't know if he was a real participant or if he invented the
 >whole thing in his head.


I can hopefully help to clarify the true context.

The 'UFO' perceptions _did_ apparently encompass three nights.

During my discussions with John Burroughs, a central participant
in those founding, first night's events, it was one of the
points he emphasised.

Therefore, the timeline becomes:

1. As documented in related statements subsequently obtained by
Lt. Col. Halt [although, as he confirms, not requested until
early January 1981], at circa 0300 on 26 December, 1980,
Burroughs, Cabansag and Penniston observed 'unfamiliar lights',
seemingly within Rendlesham forest, however the source is never
identified and what is initially believed to be the same lights
are last seen _and reported over the radio_ as near farmhouses
at Capel Green.

All three participants then pursue a 'strange light' which
ultimately turns out to be a coastal lighthouse.

Burroughs acknowledges that the resultant two mile 'beacon
light' chase is factual.

He also comments that Penniston's subsequent tales of examining
a 'landed triangular-shaped craft' for some thirty minutes, are
perhaps 'influenced' by the 'regressive hypnosis' which first
resulted in those same 'recollections'.

Burroughs maintains, as he always has done, that they only ever
witnessed lights which implied an 'object' was there.

2. On the ensuing night of 26 December, 'strange lights' were
again apparently observed... whether in the same vicinity, is
not known.

3. During the night of Saturday 27 December, Halt was attending
a belated officer's Christmas party when he was alerted that the
'UFO' had, once more, returned.

This resulted in his personal involvement, extending to the
early hours of 28 December. However, Halt had yet to take those
statements and be aware of how a coastal lighthouse had, at the
outset, eventually been followed for two miles as a potential

Halt assembled a team of 'specialists' and statedly set out to
"debunk" the 'UFO hysteria', recording on his microcassette how
a 'strange, flashing light', seen from the previously identified
'landing site', was later tracked to be, "clear off to the

A separate observation recorded by Halt are 'star-like' objects
which seem to be manoeuvring and one of which appeared to
beaming down a light - this was documented on tape as still
visible some 45 minutes later.

Ironically, an explanation for the latter may be dependent on
evidence which relates to Larry Warren.

Also regarding:

 >From: Larry Warren? <suemariemac@yahoo.co.uk>
 >Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:12:16 +0100 (BST)
 >Fwd Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:39:35 -0400
 >Subject: Re: UFO Frauds - Part II - Randle

 >...and so the mythical third night in fact is reality, and i was
 >indeed involved as my authentic military records prove, along
 >with the supporting testamoney of others who place me on site.


If you read this, perhaps you can please help to clarify a
fundamental question.

Did events on that 'third night' take place during a military

A foremost claim in the affirmative is contained within Greg
Battram's testimony, one of those who places Larry 'on site'.

This is by necessity a lengthy contribution and with Errol's
kind permission, I will simply copy a posting from the public
'UFO Research List' [UFORL], which should be self-explanatory:

 >From: John Burtenshaw <jburtens@bournemouth.ac.uk>
 >To: <UFORL@yahoogroups.com>
 >Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:09:22 +0100
 >Subject: [UFORL] Rendlesham UFO

John wrote:

 >Has anyone seen this "report"?
 >It makes an interesting read.


Thanks for highlighting this.

I have previously been in contact with Chuck Dalldorf, as
mentioned in 'Voyager Newsletter No. 17':

A military exercise seems unlikely as it was the Christmas
holiday period, plus, any night-flying operations had
effectively been ruled out. Also during 1998, Chuck Dalldorf
told me:

"I was an aircraft maintenance technician with the 81st TFW
working on A-10A and prior to that F-4D's during my tour which
lasted from December 1977 through July 1981. I had also been
assigned several times to the 67th ARRS on temporary duty to
work on both the HC-130N/P's and the HH-53's as well.


One issue I would like to address right away is, the 67th ARRS
did not scramble any missions (either HH-53 or HC-130 during the
week between Christmas 1980 and New Year's Day 1981).

There were no alerts anytime during the week between Christmas,
1980 and New Years Day 1981 at RAF Bentwaters or RAF Woodbridge.
No alerts for the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing (A-10A) or for the
67th ARRS (HC-130 and HH-53).


There was a trip that I helped run with my landlord, Joe Haninia
of Woodbridge Town who ran a travel service for the base called
Big Ben Travel. The trip went from RAF Bentwaters to Edinburgh
to celebrate Hogmanay in Scotland. We left the base and were not
recalled. There were 28 people on the trip from both the 81st
TFW and the 67th ARRS.

Col. Halt also substantiated there were no helicopter flights
during the 'second' incident, when he became personally

 >From the 13 May, 1987 online conference ,hosted by Salley Rayl:

RAYL: ..What type of aircraft were at the base at that time and
were there any in the air at that time?

HALT: Yes.

RAYL: ...In other words...

HALT: There were approximately 120 to 125 A-10s. There were I'm
trying to think, about 12, 14 C-130s, several H-3s it was in a
rescue squadron, plus the A-10 squadrons. The A-10 squadrons
were done for the holidays. Not flying, doing any night flying.
The rescue squadron was done. In fact, the rescue commander at
that time, a good personal friend of mine, really chastised me
for not calling him immediately, cause he said I could have
gotten a chopper in the air within an hour or two. I kind of
don't believe that because, you know, you'd have trouble finding
a crew and get one free-flighted, but there was no aircraft
activity. In fact, the tower at Woodbridge was down.

RAYL: Well, it was Christmas time, too.

HALT: Yeah. It was Christmas time. In fact, the tower at
Bentwaters was manned only for an emergency. In other words,
there was a standby crew up there, but it was not active.

RAYL: So, there were no jets, helicopters or any other aircraft,
American aircraft, that were scrambled at that time.

HALT: There were none that were scrambled from Bentwaters, and I
knew of nothing in the air at that time.

This was important, as a contrary claim had previously been made
by Sgt. Adrian Bustinza when interviewed by Larry Fawcett.
Bustinza was a colleague of Larry Warren and Fawcett's early, 20
April 1984, interview was subsequently published in 'Left at
East Gate' [LaEG], by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins.

I addressed this in 'Resolving Rendlesham':

Asked if he could substantiate a claim that helicopters could be
heard that night, Bustinza replied, "Yes, a squadron, pararescue
squadron was activated". In response to Fawcett's query,
"Pararescue. Where were they from? Woodbridge?", Bustinza
confirmed, "Woodbridge. they weren't very far away as a matter
of fact".

Additionally asked, "Do you know how many were up at the time?",
Bustinza stated, "I recall Major Zickler said, scramble two, I
believe he said".

However, Bustinza isn't the only witness who has indicated
helicopters featured during our 'second UFO incident'.

It occurs to me this is the first public disclosure of same.

The other claimant was Airman Greg Battram who also worked
alongside Warren.

The reason subscribers will not have been aware of Battram's
related comments is that they were, curiously, excluded from the
Fawcett interview transcript published in LaEG.

It's not the only omission, as I highlighted in 'Voyager
Newsletter No. 16', where I explained Battram's apparent
involvement in events:

The Lieutenant who drew Halt's attention to the flashing light
was Bruce Englund. Earlier that evening, Halt was attending a
belated officer's Christmas party when his festivities were
interrupted by Englund, who informed Halt the 'UFO was back'.

Why Englund believed the 'UFO' had returned, has recently become
much clearer.

The foundation was an incident which involved Airman Greg
Battram and his patrol.


Battram publicly come forward as a witness for the February,
1985 CNN special feature, presented by Chuck DeCaro. I have
acquired a transcript and Battram, at that time given anonymity
as 'Airman Greg', testified:

DeCaro: Airman Greg is a former Air Force security policeman who
says he was a witness to the second of the two UFO landings
within days of each other outside the USAF air base in
Woodbridge, England -- events documented in this official USAF
report released under The Freedom of Information Act. According
to the report, in the first encounter, before daybreak, three
security policemen saw a luminous metallic object and followed
it through the forest as it manoeuvred through the trees and
then disappeared... The following night, a four-man perimeter
patrol near the back gate of Woodbridge saw the UFO again.
Airman Greg was a member of the patrol.

Airman Greg: We were about halfway into the shift, I guess, when
we noticed some lights in the sky that, uh, didn't seem to
follow any pattern of aircraft we'd seen. And, uh, we, uh,
watched them for a while and they disappeared. And the next
thing we saw was, uh, the lights in the forest...in a clearing
off the end of the runway. And, uh, we called Central Security
Control to tell them we'd like to investigate it, and they gave
us permission to go on out. As we got in there, you could see
into the clearing and see a series of lights in there surrounded
by a ground fog. And when we got closer, you began to feel the
hair on your arms, and back of your heard, under your hat even,
stand on end. Like there was a real big static charge in the

DeCaro: Were you carrying a weapon?

Airman Greg: Yes, an M-16.

DeCaro: Loaded?

Airman Greg: Yes, we didn't know what we were dealing with. And
about that time, we decided that we'd better get the heck out of
there 'cause we were getting a little scared to stand around...

DeCaro: Bentwaters-Woodbridge air base complex in east England,
Christmas Week, 1980. Three U.S. airmen claim an encounter with
a UFO at close range. About a day later, this man, who asked not
to be identified, was on perimeter patrol at Woodbridge airbase.

Airman Greg: The four of us saw...the object. We didn't know
what it was...we got panicky. When we got close enough to feel
our hair stand on end...ran back for our vehicle... [END]

Battram retold a similar account which was published in 'Left at
East Gate' [LaEG], co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter
Robbins, published in 1997. The interview with Battram was
actually undertaken on 7 February 1984 by 'UFO' researcher and
author Larry Fawcett and describing the 'strange lights',
Battram recalled they seemed to be "alternating, mostly between
oranges, red, blues and whites".

His story is almost a replay of events from that first night and
the scenario being posed is how 'something' returned to the same
clearing. It's extremely unlikely and infinitely more probable
'something' was simply still visible. As revealed in newsletter
No. 4, long after Burroughs, Cabansag and Penniston [BC&P] had
gone to investigate the 'red and blue' lights, Jerry Valdez and
others could still see 'strange lights' from east gate - 'red,
blue and green'. Also, in the interview with Chris Armold,
published last newsletter, he confirms some red and blue lights
were still visible from this clearing, after BC&P had returned.

Battram states his patrol then met up with Lt. Bruce Englund and
told him about the forest apparition.

Presumably, this was the report which led Englund to inform Halt
that the 'UFO' had returned.

When Halt then assembled a "team of specialists" to investigate,
he included Englund [Duty Flight Lieutenant], along with
Sergeant Monroe Nevilles [Disaster Preparedness NCO], Master
Sergeant Bobby Ball [Shift Commander] and Master Sergeant
Chandler [Flight Chief], plus one other. Arriving at the
clearing, they didn't find anything unusual until Englund
noticed a distant, flashing light... which they did eventually
discover - although absent from any later retellings - was
'clear off to the coast'.

This brings us full circle and appears to set most of the 'UFO'
events from that night in their true context.


In the 'Left at East Gate' transcript of Fawcett's interview
with Battram, the dialogue is published as follows.

GB: We couldn't really see a distinct shape, but there were
alternating colours in it and the whole bit. It was really
strange. The closer we got, the worse the static electricity
feeling got, and we just said, "Fuck", and we turned around and
took off.

LF: Did you have weapons with you?

GB: Yes.

LF: You did?

GB: Yes. Guaranteed. I didn't know what the fuck was in there,
and I was not taking any chances.

However, the original transcript reads:

Greg: We couldn't really see a distinct shape, but there were
alternating colours in it and the whole bit. It was really
strange. The closer we got, the worse the static electricity
feeling got, and we just said _ _ _ this. And we turned around
and took off.

Larry: Did you have weapons with you?

Greg: Yes.

Larry: Did you throw a round in at anytime?

Greg: Yes.

Larry: You did?

GB: Yes. Guaranteed, I didn't know what the _ _ _ was in there
and I was not taking any chances.


Regarding the presence of helicopters that night, in LaEG, the
transcript of Fawcett's interview reads:

LF: Could you see all the light-alls they had out there?

GB: I could see a couple of them as they were bringing them out.

LF: OK. Were there a lot of personnel going out there?

GB: Well, it seemed like it, I saw twenty to thirty people.

LF: When did you hook up with Larry? When he tried to call his
mother that time?



The original, more revealing, transcript records:

LF: Could you see all the light all's [sic] they had out there?

GB: I could see a couple of them as they were bringing them out.

LF: OK. Were there a lot of personnel going out there?

GB: Well, it seemed like it, I saw twenty to thirty people.

LF: How about choppers? Were there any of those up?

GB: No. Not that I know of, because we were on Woodbridge and we
didn't see any of them take off. Later on I think there was a
helicopter flight.

LF: Yes, because Bustinza told me that Zeigler (sic), Major
Zeigler had ordered the scramble of two choppers from

GB: Well, that could be because we did hear them starting their
engines and they did do that at night sometimes. We could see
one of them out there hovering around. Up above the normal
parking area. So in all the excitement and stuff like that. We
were just chattering our heads off about what we had seen. We
weren't really paying too much attention to our surroundings. We
went off and parked some place.

LF: When did you hook up with Larry? When he tried to call his
mother that time?



Although Battram initially states there were no airborne
helicopters, he then says there was a hovering helicopter
visible and perhaps a later flight.

It's entirely contradictory to the evidence cited by Chuck
Dalldorf and Col. Halt.

A further insight was offered to myself some time ago by Chris
Armold. Chris was the Airman who, following that first night's
[BC&P] 'downed aircraft' concerns, called the local Martlesham
Heath police station to report a possible aircraft crash. For a
detailed background on his involvement, see 'Voyager Newsletter
No. 15'.

Chris commented:

"I appreciate the fact that you've approached this event with
your eyes a bit wider open than some of your associates. Of
course that means your story isn't nearly as interesting as what
they write because often the truth is far less sensational than
the imaginative creations of folks trying to make a few
quid/dollars on the side.

Regarding some of your questions: First about Adrian [Bustinza],
yes, I'm disappointed that he would make any assertions about
seeing some kind of space craft, aliens or whatever. It simply
didn't happen. If there had been an encounter in the open field
every person on duty at RAF Woodbridge would have seen it. Could
I be mistaken about him being with us on the 2nd night? I'm sure
he was as on the afternoon, he gave me a ride on his motorcycle.
It was the first and last time I have ever been on one. It
scared the shit out of me! That was far more frightening and
memorable than the darn UFO thing!

Okay, you wrote "Bustinza states that two helicopters were
scrambled from 'Pararescue squadron', on the orders of Major
Zickler. Greg Battrom also says helicopters were airborne."
hahahahahahahahhahahhaahhahahah, that is so fucking funny,
please excuse my language but that is hilarious! No way,
absolutely no way. First of all Major Zickler couldn't order an
airman from the motor pool to fill up his car with gas let alone
scramble a couple of helicopters! In addition, the 67th ARRS
guys were essentially on holiday, I doubt there was anyone
around to scramble in addition to the fact that they didn't have
"alert" choppers! A major in a Security Police squadron does not
have the authority to do that. Were there helicopters involved.
No, not one time, never. Why would there be? What sense would it
make? None, zero, nada. It's pure bullshit.

One thing I like about Chris is that he's always forthright. ;)

I would certainly go with the conclusion that helicopters were
never a factor.

An aside; as Larry Fawcett apparently didn't interview Bustinza
until 20 April 1984, how was he, on 7 February 1984 [both dates
reiterated in LaEG], able to tell Battram about Bustinza's
helicopter assertions?

There's one more aspect to Battram's story which is a critical
factor and if true, could require some re-appraisal of the
entire 'UFO' perspective.

As such, I'm surprised the following hasn't merited previous
discussion. In a moment, I'll explain why I haven't brought it to
light before now.

This concerns Battram's opening remarks from Larry Fawcett's
interview and I'm using the LaEG transcript which, with a couple
of editing exceptions, is verbatim - one disparity is noted.

 >From the beginning:

GB: I was in the Air Force up to this point a little over a year.
I had been in England about two months.

LF: OK, you were stationed at Bentwaters or Woodbridge?

GB: At Bentwaters.

LF: Were you attached to the Eighty-first Police Security

GB: Yes.

LF: What was your job there, Greg?

GB: I was in the planning and program section.

LF: Go ahead.

GB: We had an alert over there for exercises and things about
once or twice a month. And during those times, all the back-
  office people would go on a security post, additional posting
and stuff out there. So, the night we saw the UFO, we were out
there on duty, on one of these exercises, and it was nighttime.
Nothing going on but we all still had to be there, and we were
driving around on Woodbridge base on a perimeter patrol, and we
saw some lights up in the sky, and it looked a lot different
from any other aircraft we had ever seen.

We watched them for a while and then they disappeared... in a
clearing of a forest and that's when we saw the object or
whatever. We thought it was a fire at first.

[NOTE: The original transcript reads: "We watched them for a
while and then they disappeared. A short distance from where
they disappeared is a clearing and a forest and that's when we
saw the object or whatever. We thought it was a fire at first".]

When we saw that, we thought, oh boy, we could have some
problems out here, so we called Central Security Control and
told them we wanted to go out and see what it was. They said go
ahead and they would notify the base fire department and the
British authorities. So we took off out the back gate, there at
Woodbridge, and headed toward the forest.

LF: Who was with you, Greg?

GB: I can't remember the names of those guys. Three other guys in
the truck.


GB: We got out there and parked the truck on the side of the
road and went walking in toward the clearing. Just as we got
about fifty yards away, we started to feel the hair on our necks
and arms and stuff stand up.

LF: Yes.

GB: And it felt really strange. And we could hear a thrumming
kind of sound.

LF: A what kind of sound?

GB: A thrumming noise coming out of the forest, from the
direction of that object. It had a ground fog all around it.


GB: We couldn't really see a distinct shape, but there were
alternating colors in it and the whole bit. It was really
strange. The closer we got, the worse the static electricity
feeling got, and we just said, 'Fuck', and we turned around and
took off.



If, as Battram relates, the 'second' incident occurred during a
training exercise, it's a significantly different overall
context, in many respects.

 >From my reading, Battram was one of those 'back-office people',
in the 'planning and program section'. He was only on patrol
duties because an exercise was taking place.

Once more, missing from the LaEG transcript is brief, yet
significant, interview material, when Battram adds:

"Then we went back to the perimeter of Woodbridge and stuck
around there. We could see some activity over there but that was
it. And then we got off at the other end of the base there and
got involved with exercises and horsing around and stuff. Never
did see any more from that point on. The next day was when we
heard all the silly stories and stuff. Oh! Sounds like ----

Presuming no misunderstanding, Battram's evidence is not
trustworthy unless the second incident took place during a
military operation.

Conversely, if no such manoeuvres, then Battram wouldn't have
been, "on duty, on one of these exercises".

Strikingly, he further recollects [using the LaEG transcript]:

LF: And this incident was in December, right?

GB: Yes.


GB: It seemed like a week before New Year's. Something like
that, it seemed real close to it.

LF: Were there any other sightings after that, Greg, that you
heard of?

GB: The stories went on for a while like they did before that
night. We heard a lot of stories about people seeing lights at
night and strange things. We thought they were all on dope.

LF: Yes.

GB: That's why it was strange that night, because it was the
second night we had been out on this alert. I had thought the
night before, now I get to see if these guys are really high or
if they're really seeing something. The night it happened, it
was like - Holy shit! there must be something in the water. [END

If, "the second night we had been out on this alert" and if
Battram's testimony does relate to events which led to Col. Halt
[then Lt. Col. Halt] being informed by Lt. Bruce Englund that
the 'UFO was back', this ostensibly all took place in the midst
of ongoing base exercises/operations.

A recap; our two well-known 'UFO' incidents occurred during the
early hours of 26 December and the night/early hours of 27/28

Consequent to my interviews with a number of contemporary base
personnel, I'm satisfied there were also comparative 'UFO'
sightings on the night of 26 December. It was a point which John
Burroughs, one of the three participants from that primary
'encounter' highlighted in recent discussions.

These were the 'three night's' which Larry Warren argued for and
how his own alleged experience happened on the _third night_.

Therefore, Battram's proclaimed two-night 'alert' would
seemingly be dated as 26 and 27 December - "the second night we
had been out on this alert" corresponding to when he observed
duly reported 'UFO phenomenon' and had informed Lt. Englund.

If, "I had thought the night before, now I get to see if these
guys are really high or if they're really seeing something", the
'night before' must refer to 26 December.

I would surmise it's Burroughs, Cabansag and Penniston's
foremost 'Rendlesham forest UFO chase' he's alluding to and
whether, "these guys are really high or if they're really seeing

No question that Battram was acutely on 'alert' for UFOs.

The unanswered question is whether any military operations were
in fact simultaneously scheduled.

Endeavours to clarify this were instrumental in why I hadn't,
"brought it to light before now".

It seems so improbable that training exercises would be
conducted during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. If they
had been, why were so many others on base seemingly oblivious to

Maybe not so straightforward; from 'Voyager Newsletter No. 19':

A new witness I recently located is Mike Jenkins, who was NCOIC
of the Munitions Maintenance Shop at Woodbridge and then moved
to 'Bentwaters Missile Maintenance'. Mike has a strange tale to
tell and which he dates as occurring during some 'UFO'
excitement, specifically the morning after 'Lt. Col. Halt went
out on the night shift'.

If we could be sure about the dating, Mike's claims could have a
profound effect on the entire 'UFO' scenario.

He recalls:

"When I came in the next morning, all I saw was a lot of our
staff in uniform and in civilian dress, posted about the weapons
storage area, and everyone being told to not ask questions, just
do our jobs. To me it appeared to be no more than a regular
training or alert drill after which there is normally a higher
level of visible security at the twin bases anyway".

"As to the normal day to day operations training, alerts,
exercises, and such it was common practice to have senior SPS
personnel attempt to breach security of the WSA. These exercises
often resulted in supplemental staff being brought in from the
barracks to protect the area. That would account for SPS staff
in civilian cloths posted in the WSA. Again I was not there the
night of the incident, however, the morning after, staff in the
WSA were still in a heightened state of alert, i.e. more
personnel in the WSA than normal".

It's known that during 1980, there were large-scale training
exercises which involved the British Territorial Army. However,
these predated those late December, 1980 'UFO' events and asked
if he was possibly recalling this, Mike responds:

"I remember the joint exercises with the Territorials, it was
quite fun".

"The 'incident' was not the Territorials, because their practice
target was the Woodbridge WSA, as I was the NCOIC of the
Munitions Maintenance Shop at Woodbridge at that time.

I then moved to Bentwaters Missile Maintenance, which is when I
believe the Lt. Col. Halt excursion occurred".



I'm sure Jenny Randles especially will also now have in mind the
Royal Navy exercises which were reportedly being conducted off
Orfordness [Orford Ness] during this time. So far as I'm aware,
this was never confirmed as factual.

I remain uncertain what to make of Battram's claims, or Mike

Although it merely compounds matters further, there's another
testimony which could be more significant than initially

 >From 'Voyager Newsletter No. 18':


Developments in the equally classic December 1980 RAF
Bentwaters/RAF Woodbridge [twin base] or 'Rendlesham forest'
[which separated the bases] 'UFO' case continues to produce new
witnesses, new evidence and some startling surprises...

"I was a Security Policeman at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge from
mid 1978 to mid 1981. I arrived at Bentwaters as a SSgt, and
departed as a TSgt. I was a law enforcement specialist. While
there I worked as a patrolman, desk sergeant, assistant flight
chief, flight chief, training NCO, and QA evaluator".

"My Shift Commander was Lt Englund, and the Security Flight Chief
at the time was MSgt Bobbie Ball (Bobbie was known for how shiny
his boots were, even in the mud and rain). If I left QA six
months before I left Bentwaters in the summer of 1981, and my
Shift Commander was Lt Englund, and the Security Flight Chief was
MSgt Ball, then my incident is right in the ball park".

"I had no idea that this 'incident' existed until last night.
Naturally, it has been about the only thing I've been thinking
about since then, and the more I go over this 20 year old
memory, the more things I remember".

"One is about the kid that was working the [east] gate on the
first incident, and whom I played the joke on. I don't remember
his name, but he was a Security troop. Security worked the back
gate during late hours even though gates were normally the
responsibility of the LE [Law Enforcement] flight".

"That post was not a well liked one, and MSgt Ball did not
usually assign his favorite troops to that post".

"This particular kid was afraid of the dark, noises, etc. He was
constantly calling for the patrol to swing by. That patrolman
was usually me. I was the second ranking man on the LE Flight.
The ranking man was the flight chief, and worked on Bentwaters,
while the number 2 man usually worked as the only LE patrol on

"Anyway, I remember having to constantly go out to that gate and
hold this guy's hand. He was a perfect target for a practical
joke. Our jokes were not malicious, but they did tend to be
inventive and aimed at those troops that were most likely to
fall for them. This guy was definitely like to fall for it, as
he did - like a ton of bricks".

"The joke would have had to have happened late - after all the
initial patrol duties like relieving the main gate for chow, and
getting the first round of building checks done, and before
things began to pick up again, and we got bored and started
looking for a way to cause trouble. I can not say for sure, but
I would guess between 1:00 and 4:00 AM".

"Were there other UFO hoaxes? I don't know of any, but it is
entirely possible. It was a good stunt. Someone else could have
repeated it. In fact, most good cop practical jokes did get
repeated. We had some classics - sending someone out for 100
feet of flight line to rope off an area. Sending someone out for
a gallon of prop wash to clean patrol car windows with, sending
someone to the emergency room for a box of fallopian tubes for
the breathalyzer, etc.".

"We used at least three flashlights pointing upwards rolled up
in the windows of the patrol car. These lights were red, blue,
green, and possibly amber. The patrol car itself had the
American style square red and blue emergency rack on top with
revolving high intensity red and blue lights. It also had bright
white alley lights - these are lights that point to the side in
order to light up buildings as you drive past them at night. It
also had a bright white spotlight that I pointed as close to
straight up as I could. I had everything except my headlights
on. All of our vehicles, both Security and Law Enforcement had
the same or similar equipment".

"The flashlights, which were green, and maybe amber, where
nowhere as bright as the red, blue and white emergency lights,
which really lit up the night".

"One of the lights directed upwards was the patrol car's
spotlight. It is a very bright light that throws a beam a long

"The night I did it I remember it as slightly foggy, probably
low lying fog. The lights lit the fog quite nicely, I should
think making a nice halo effect. The fog was, in fact, critical
for my prank, as you could see the light beams. Try shining a
bright spotlight in fog - you get the light sabre effect".

Strange red and blue flashing lights... beams of light on a foggy
night... aficionados of this celebrated 'UFO' case will recognise
some astounding similarities.

Does this begin to explain those contemporary 'UFO' sightings,
or is it merely all an incredible coincidence..

The full story will shortly be revealed...

That's 'shortly' as in 'eventually'.

Ian Ridpath has copies of the base weather records which record
'ground fog' on the night of 27 December.

Robert McLean also confirmed that, "...the only coloured light
I've seen there is a low pressure sodium lamp (the type that
produces the deep yellow colour - Sodium D-line to be technical)
at the eastern edge of the farm buildings, this is visible near
the unmarked road just east of the buildings".

Could this explain the 'yellow glow' and 'surrounding fog' which
so terrified Battram's patrol?

The 'UFO' hoax was also statedly in that timeframe and took
place between 1:00-4:00 a.m. when it was "slightly foggy" with
"probably low lying fog".

Concerning the latter, I can now publicly reveal, with
permission, that the story originates from SMSgt Kevin Conde.

Having read case material on my web site, Kevin contacted myself
as he believed his hoax might have been responsible for the UFO
sightings. Although there was a conceivable involvement relating
to those 'light beams' [Halt did of course document 'beams of
light' visible at 3:15 a.m. on the morning of 28 December], he
subsequently concluded why any direct association seemed

There was a prime reason, best elucidated by Kevin himself:

"This incident [hoax] occurred right after Christmas. For
reasons that are hard to explain it is my impression that I
pulled my stunt during an exercise. We would not have had an
exercise during the Christmas holiday. That is a strong
indication that my stunt is not the source of this specific

However, there is obviously evidence which, if reliable,
substantiates an exercise was being conducted, for some reason,
during the night of 27 December.

Furthermore, Kevin's stunt is dated "right after Christmas".

Looking back at the story he related, I see there's some
incidental information which could correlate with Battram's

Battram was with a four-man patrol - "Three other guys in the

For reference, SMSgt Kevin Conde clarified:

"You mention ART and SRT in one article. An ART is an Area
Response Team, while SRT is a Security Response Team. They were
referred to on the radio as arts and sarts. ART's were two man
units and were assigned to specific aircraft parking areas, and
did not leave those areas. SRT's were roving patrols that could
go anywhere on the flight line. SRT's were also two man units.
However, during exercises SRT's went to three or four man

I've asked Kevin and some other sources for their comments on
what has been highlighted above and the entire question of base
exercises during that holiday period.

Halt has since claimed that one of the 'beams' came down nearby
his team. If that could be substantiated, it would obviously
rule out any suggestion of Kevin Conde's/similar involvement.

There's more to Conde's story, yet to be published.

Meantime, any comments from Larry Warren would be particularly

Larry, there is one aspect of your story which does seem to be

In 'Voyager' newsletter No. 14, I wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone else has spotted the connection with two
messages Warren states he heard over the radio:

"Then I heard a radio transmission: 'You people have to avoid
these hot spots. Remember they're marked, October Number One.
Over'. I knew the code October One meant first officer on site.


The radios were active. I could hear what sounded like pilot
communications. Someone reported over the air: 'Here it comes.
Here it comes. Here it comes'."

In fact, these are almost certainly snippets from the
communications which Halt recorded on his microcassette that
same night, namely:

1. HALT: The sample...you're going to mark this sample number
one...have them cut it off, and include some of that sap and
all...is between indentation two and three on a pine tree about
five feet away, about three and a half feet off the ground.


HALT: Same place where the spot is, we're getting a heat...


HALT: This is strange. Here, someone wanna look at the spots on
the ground? Whoops, watch you don't step...you're walking all
over 'em. OK, let's step back and not walk all over 'em.

2. HALT: 03:15. Now we've got an object about 10 degrees
directly south, 10 degrees off the horizon. And the ones to the
north are moving. One's moving away from us.

VOICE: Moving out fast.

VOICE: This one on the right's heading away, too.

HALT: They're both heading north. Hey, here he comes from the
south, he's coming toward us now.

Not 'October Number One', it was 'sample number one' and not
pilots, but Halt and company in the forest. Warren does mention
the presence of Halt and others, the light-alls which wouldn't
work (they were notoriously unreliable) and officers who seemed
to have come straight from a function.

 >From Larry Warren's various accounts, it does seem evident he
associates Halt's comments over the radio, i.e., "Hey, here he
comes from the south, he's coming toward us now", with a 'red
ball' of light which then 'exploded', after which a 'craft'
appeared on the ground.


Was Larry Warren involved on that third night?

It would be impossible, according to the evidence in LaEG, where
Larry recalls returning from Germany "on or about 27 December",
1980 and that the 'UFO' incident occurred on his next night of
duty, 28 December.

The 'third night' was 27 December.

However, he was on a stated three-day pass and left for Germany,
"the day before Christmas". Wouldn't that require a return on
the 26th, allowing for his next duty shift to be 27 December?

There is additional evidence why Larry may indeed have
participated in the 'UFO scare', as did many others that night,
and equally why it all could not even conceivably have resulted
in an alien spacecraft landing in the field in front of
farmhouses at Capel Green - effectively where those 'UFO'
sightings began three nights earlier.

However, more than enough to be addressed at present.

 >From: Kevin Randle <KRandle993@aol.com>
 >Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:25:02 EDT
 >Subject: Re: UFO Frauds - Part II - Randle

 >So, the question is really, were there two nights of activity or
 >three? If there were but two, then Warren wasn't involved. If
 >three... then maybe.

Yes, maybe...

James Easton.
E-mail: ufo@rendlesham.com