UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Oct > Oct 27

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 2, Number 41

From: Masinaigan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 13:01:44 -0500 (EST)
Fwd Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:00:03 -0500
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 2, Number 41

Volume 2, Number 41
October 26, 1997
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     The videotape of a dark gray saucer shot in
Mexico City on August 6, 1997 is now available for
viewing on the Internet as a Quicktime movie.
     On October 16, ufologist Fernando Camacho
contacted a friend in Mexico who owned a MacIntosh
AV computer.  Camacho's friend translated the color
35-second video into a Quicktime movie.
     According to Camacho, the video was first aired
on Mexican television on September 28 on the
"Tercera Milenio" (Third Millenium) show.  The
broadcast was repeated the following Sunday,
October 5.
     The Quicktime movie, Camacho said "is of good
quality and lasts for about 60 seconds.  Its size is
4.4 megabytes."
     According to CNI News, the videotape shows
"a saucer-like object between 35 and 50 feet in
diameter; the object is located approximately 1,200
yards from the camera; the object is rotating in a
counter-clockwise motion; and it seems to have some
kind of 'cylinders' attached to the flange, the center-
line of the disk, that rotate with the flange in counter-
clockwise motion.  These do not appear to be portholes
or lights but rather something that is attached."
     CNI News quoted Lee Elders as saying, "When you
first see it, it appears to be 300 feet above the ground.
We estimate that based upon the fact that the high-
rise apartment house standing in front of the ship to the
right seems to be somewhere between 400 and 450 feet
in height, based on the numbers of floors."
     "The ship is hovering below the apartment house,"
Elders reported.  "Then it rises up over 100 feet behind
the apartment complex and then flies--not exactly over--
it's still behind the complex maybe 100 meters.  Then
it dips down behind the apartment house..."  (See
CNI News, volume 3, part 16, page 1 for October 16,
1997.  Many thanks to Mike Lindemann of CNI News
for forwarding this item.)
     One witness who saw the Quicktime movie had this
to say: "It's definitely a 'must see.'  Even though it's a
low-res (low resolution) copy, the detail is really amazing.
The creepiest thing is the way the flying saucer goes
from a hover to forward motion without any indication of
inertial lag, like it had no mass.  I did like the way you
can see the saucer through one of the windows in the
(neighboring) high rise as it passed below."
     The Quicktime movie is available at a few locations
on the Web.  Christopher Penrose has it at this URL:
     Also see ftp://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pub/incoming.  The
file is called ufomex6aug.mov.
     Also at ftp://judy.sfc.keio.ac.jp/pub/
(Muchas gracias a Fernando Camacho para eso articulo.)


     About a week ago, a photographer we'll call Derek
Kuiper arrived at an industrial park on the outskirts
of Eshowe, northern Natal, in South Africa, not far
from the Indian Ocean.  After parking his car, Derek
took out his Polaroid camera and proceeded to
shoot color photos of the park for a client.
     When the first photo emerged, Derek squinted at
it in puzzlement.  The scene showed "a small light on
the horizon," one that had not been present when he
looked through the viewfinder.
    "The second photo, which was taken very soon
afterward, shows a strange object in the sky," reported
Craig Thompson, who investigated the case.  "The
object was never seen.  It only showed up after the
photos were developed."
     The photos can be viewed at the following URLs:
http://www.humanoidsoftware.com/ufo/ufo1-300.jpg and
     Enlargements can be found at http://www.
humanoidsoftware.com/ufo/ufo2-300.jpg and at
     Eshowe is 160 kilometers (100 miles) northeast
of Durban, South Africa.  The town is also 352
kilometers (220 miles) northeast of Mount Ayliff,
where Mamlambo, the giant river monster, was
reported last May.


     A Punta Arenas man claims to have witnessed
two jet interceptors of the Fuerzas Aereas de Chile
(FACh) in pursuit of a UFO over Punta Arenas, the
southernmost city in Chile.
     According to a report by Dr. Carlos Munoz, an
investigator for Agrupacion de Investigaciones
Ovniologicas (AION), Chile's famouse UFO study
group, the night of September 15, 1997, Jesus
Montalvo "was on a road outside Punta Arenas when
he heard this 'BOOM' like sound coming from behind
his car.  As he stopped to see what it was, a huge
disc-shaped UFO flying very low came from behind
and passed right over his car.  And, for a bigger
surprise, the UFO was being followed by two FACh
jet fighters which had no lights on (combat mode).
He watched the pursuit until the UFO made a fast
acceleration, disappearing instantly from the sky,
leaving behind the two jets."
     According to AION president Rodrigo Fuenzalida,
FACh has been "on alert" since UFO videos shot in
Punta Arenas and Iquique in northern Chile were
aired on Canal (Channel) 7, Television Nacional de
Chile, in Santiago de Chile, the nation's capital.
(Muchas gracias a Luis Sanchez Perry para ese


     On Tuesday, October 14, 1997, at 8:30 a.m.,
a UFO hovered near a school located in Santiago
de Chile.  Several dozen students and a professor
spotted the daylight disc, which was arrayed with
"many bright lights" as it "hovered for about 15
minutes and then did all sorts of maneuvers over
     The UFO was also seen in the suburbs of
Cerrillos and Quilpe, near Vina del Mar.
     The following day, Wednesday, October 15,
two men fishing in Vina del Mar at approximately
8 a.m. "saw a UFO come out of the sea and head
towards Santiago."  (Otra vez, muchas gracias a
Luis Sanchez Perry para esa historia.)


     On September 29, 1997, at 4:30 p.m., a pilot
for Australia's National Broadcasting ABC News
was flying near Lismore, New South Wales, about
300 miles (480 kilometers) north of Sydney.
     Suddenly, he "sighted a large black object
flying over the Lismore area.  It was flying (at) about
30,000 feet (9,090 meters), heading from east to
west or (bearing) 110 degrees.  This huge black
object left behind the biggest (condensation) trail
he had ever seen.  He added that it was bigger than
ten (Boeing) 747s and had a speed beyond that of
something for its size."  (Many thanks to Ross Dowe
of Australia's National 24-Hour UFO Hotline.  UFO
ROUNDUP readers in the South Pacific who wish to
report a UFO sighting to Ross Dowe should call this
number: 61 190 224 3529.)


     On Saturday, October 18, 1997, at 9 p.m., Bert
Bromley was "returning from the local store" in the
south end of the industrial city of Sheffield in the UK
"when I noticed a red light in the sky at roughly 45
degrees from my point of view (the horizon being 0)."
     "The brightness of the light was three or four times
that of a typical airplane," Bert reported.  "It appeared
to be traveling on a south-southwest to north-northeast
course."  The UFO "seemed to flicker in intensity (not
the rhythymic flashing of an airplane beacon), the exact
colour being a warm red/orange.  It was bright enough
to look 'starlike,' like the special FX filter on camera."
     "I could see no shape within the flashing.  I cannot
comment on its size, other than 'a point of light.'  After
watching for about four minutes (the light passing
overhead, now at about 110 degrees), I noticed a change
in course, veering more directly north.  By this time, the
light got dimmer and appeared to be fading.  For another
five minutes, the light either hovered (over Sheffield--J.T.)
or continued north-northwest until it disappeared.  The
light seemed to have a slight wobble as it moved" and
remained "eerily perceptible" in a clear night sky with
few stars."  (Email Interview)


     In recent weeks, residents of Maesiocyn, near Tywlch
Llanidloes in central Wales, about 90 miles (144 kilometers)
north of Cardiff, have reported sighting "lights resembling
large stars" in the eastern sky, "which move to the right
and left and up and down."
     Eyewitness Margaret M. said, "Definitely not planes.
When looked at through the binoculars, they flash red
and green and orange."
     "One night I saw what looked like an orange tennis ball
fall in an arc towards Earth and disappear," Margaret said.
"I can only reiterate that these are DEFINITELY not planes.
Also, regular loud rumbling noises--like thunder or heavy
guns--but nowhere near a (an artillery) range."
     Residents have also reported lights above the nearby
Halfren Forest.  (Email Interview)


     On Sunday, October 19, 1997, at 1:35 a.m., an
Italian motorist driving near Porto Torres in the Sassari
region of Sardinia "saw a white trail rising in a trajectory
arched toward the offshore island of Asinari."
     Thirty minutes later, another motorist driving just
outside Sorso "observed a group of intense lights,
iridescent in color but which was predominated by blue,
at first stationary in the sky and then left at an amazing
speed in the direction of the nearby countryside."
     The motorist pursued the UFO "for several
kilometers" until the UFO "took off into the interior"
of Sardinia.
     The sightings are being investigated by Antonio
Cuccu of the Centro Italiano di Studi Ufologici (CISU).
(Grazie a Edoardo Russo di CISU)


     On Friday, October 3, 1997, at 9:45 p.m., Lucia A.
and Paula D. "were driving south on Highway 101" in
northern California, "south of Ukiah (population 12,035)
and north of Hopland (population 900)."  The area is
about 120 miles (152 kilometers) north of San Francisco.
     Paula, "the driver of the car, saw a flash of light
above the windshield of the car.  She wondered if the
flash was on a mountaintop or up in the sky."  Lucia
didn't see the original flash.
     "A minute or two later, we both simultaneously saw
an explosion of light," Lucia reported.  "It looked like a
star exploding."  Then "a smaller, starlike object fell/
dropped from it approximately 6 inches in the sky, from
our perspective.  The smaller object stayed in place
behind the first one..."
     The first UFO then "hovered over the second one for
a few minutes.  It hovered long enough for us to notice it
and then it moved slowly to the west toward the horizon,
dipped a little, and then dropped from sight."
     The women pulled off the highway and parked beside
a vineyard where they "saw a second small object close
by off to the south of us and then a cluster of about six
others a little toward the earth.  They were blinking
green/red and white colors."  (Email Interview)


     On September 23, 1997, at 9:35 p.m., a Georgia
woman and her 15-year-old daughter were traveling
"on Frazier Road toward LaVista Road, near
Northlake Mall in Tucker, Ga. (population 12,500),"
a suburb 18 miles (28 kilometers) northeast of
     "When looking to the southeast, they saw an
'object hovering over a large tree in the backyard of
a house.'  Stopping the car and looking out the car's
open window, they saw a saucer-shaped UFO with
four to five large red pulsating lights on the bottom
just hovering.  The mother and daughter estimated
that the dark grey UFO was the size of 'five minivans
laid side by side.'"
     "They watched the UFO for approximately two to
three minutes before it moved up and shot off in an
arc to the northwest.  While watching the UFO, the
women said they saw no cars or heard the UFO
make any noise.  While the engine of their car was
running, the UFO did not affect is operation except
that, strangely, the speedometer of the car jumped up
while the car was stationary and no gas was being
     "A few minutes later, while in front of a church on
LaVista Road, they saw the UFO again.  Like the
first encounter, it was hovering over some trees.
The outer part of the UFO appeared to be rotating while
the center remained fixed.  It is possible, according to
the pair, that it may have been only the lights rotating
around the UFO's rim."
     Looking down LaVista Road, the women saw yet
another saucer-shaped UFO hovering not far away.
The first UFO approached the second "and appeared
to be 'communicating.'  This frightened the mother and
the daughter and they left while the two UFOs" still
hovered near each other.  (See Filer's Files #42 for
October 23, 1997.  Many thanks to George A. Filer and
John Thompson of MUFON for this news story.)


     On Saturday, October 18, 1997, at 9 p.m., "a man
and his fiancee were going home to" Los Alamos, New
Mexico (population 17,100), about 38 miles (61
kilometers) west of Santa Fe."
     The couple "observed a light blue flash that 'lit up
the sky behind the Jemez Mountains.'  They reported
that the light faded slowly, then returned to its previous
level of brightness approximately five minutes later."
     "The man turned the car around and drove back
about two miles to a spot where he and his fiancee
could sit and watch the sky.  There was no repeat of
the lights, so they continued driving home."
     About 45 minutes later, as the couple approached
their house in Los Alamos, "the sky lit up with the same
blue light, but this time it was on the opposite side of
the Jemez Mountains.  He reported that the light was
so bright that the profile of the mountains was clearly
visible in the night."  (Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr.
for forwarding this story.)
(Editor's Comment:  A similar phenomenon took place
at 8:50 p.m. on Thursday, September 4, 1997 just
north of Beaver Bay, Minnesota.  The light flashes
were green, however, not blue.  For more information,
see UFO ROUNDUP, volume 2, number 35.)


     On Friday, October 24, 1997, NASA told USA
Today that "The Mars Pathfinder's radio transmitter
is not communicating with Earth because its
internal temperatures have fallen to an estimated
58 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit scale), NASA
scientists believe.  Communications were lost
October 7, and scientists can't tell if the rover
(Sojourner) is still roaming the planet.  Controllers
say they haven't given up hope of keeping the
mission going."  (See USA Today for October 24,
1997, page A-3)
     The rover Sojourner is equipped with
radioisotope heaters fueled by 0.1 ounce of
plutonium-238.  The nucleide generates one
watt of heat, which warms the heavily-insulated
interior of Sojourner's electronics box.  The
insulation is a lightweight, porous silicate.
     Presumably Sojourner is still following its
original early October upload commands and
is headed for Twin Peaks.
     Pathfinder, however, may be a victim of the
Mars Jinx.  Of the 22 Mars missions flown by the
USA and Russia since 1960, nine have ended in
outright failure.  Indeed, no Mars exploration
mission has been an unqualified success since
the landing of Viking 2 on September 23, 1976.
     In recent years, the two Russian Phobos
spacecraft vanished enroute to Mars in the late
1980s.  The U.S. Mars Observer stopped
transmitting just before it entered orbit around
the planet on August 22, 1996.  And Russia's
Mars 96 probe was destoryed when its rocket
blew up on the launch pad on November 11, 1996.


     On Monday, October 20, 1997, at 3 p.m.,
Wayne Milette, a City of Providence firefighter
residing on Grandview Drive in Lincoln, R.I.
received a call from a neighbor, Noel Chartier.
     Chartier "first pointed out the reptile to
him Monday about 3 p.m.  Milette didn't
believe it."
     "Joined by Chartier's friend, Kate Boyle,
they watched" a two-and-a-half foot caiman
"swim from sunny spot to sunny spot" in
Barney's Pond "for about an hour before they
decided they should call the DEM (R.I.
Department of Environmental Management--
J.T.) to take it away."
     "Officers lassoed the reptile, gently put it
into a bag and took it to Tuffy's Aquarium and
Pet Center in Warwick, which receives many of
the state's exotic animals."  (See the Providence
R.I. Journal-Bulletin for October 22, 1997,
page B-2.)

     Peter W------ of Melbourne, Australia has
disavowed the story of the alleged UFO burn
circles reported in a March 1997 issue of
UFO ROUNDUP.  Mr. W------ writes, "Please
remove, immediately, any references to 'Peter
W------, Ufologist' in the article...The information
was obtained without consent and is totally
inaccurate."  UFO ROUNDUP has deleted all
mention of Mr. W------ from the issue in question,
thanks him for this clarification, and apologizes
for any embarrassment that resulted.

from the UFO Files...


     One of the best-documented UFO sightings of the
"Airship Era" took place in Bridgewater, Massachusetts
during the early morning hours of October 31, 1908.
The chief witnesses were two undertakers, John E.
Flynn and Philip S. Prophett, who were driving a horse-
drawn carriage shortly after 3 a.m. on Main Street
from West Bridgewater to the center of Bridgewater.
Here is Flynn's eyewitness account:
     "We saw the light, not exactly a searchlight but
an unusually strong lantern of some sort, over the
Stanley (Iron) works.  We stopped the team and
for ten minutes watched it, and saw it was moving
and coming nearer and nearer to earth.  At last,
with the stars' light, and occasional bits of light
from the lantern, we caught a glimpse of the shape
of the balloon.  We shouted towards it but heard
no response or sound of any sort."
     "The balloon dropped down, and the light moved
about, perhaps as though they were trying to get
their bearings.  Then it slowly rose and moved
directly to the east, or slightly south of east.  We
followed it with our eyes for a long time."
     "Even after I got home, I sat in my room and
watched it from the window for half to three-quarters
of an hour.  I knew that from the direction it was
going it would reach the sea in 25 miles or so, and
I expected to see it drop down."
     "It did not drop.  Instead it kept steadily on,
and I was surprised at how straight a line it kept.
I was watching from a window and between two
branches of a big tree some 50 to 60 feet away.
It never deviated from the line to pass outside
the branches, except once, just before I gave up
the watch because the room was so chilly."
     In the days following, local residents attributed
the "mystery balloon" to a hot-air balloon sent up
from the fairground in nearby Brockton, Mass.
Irritated by this, Flynn wrote a letter to the Brockton
Times and offered further testimony.
     "It was not a searchlight, as was erroneously
stated in the newspapers, but seemed to be about
two feet and a half in diameter.  I could see the
outline of the large bag for it remained stationary
and then moved up and down seemingly at the
will of some individual."
     "I claim that a hot-air balloon could not move
in a circle or perpendicular, as this one did...When
first seen, it hovered above the Stanley Iron Works,
seemingly about 100 feet from the ground, but
when we returned (to Bridgewater at 3:10 a.m.)
it was going in the direction of Plymouth.  Prophett
called his father, and he got up to watch this
lighted bird, as it soared slowly away.  All were in
their right minds, and several reputable citizens of
the town have since told me that they also are sure
it was not a hot-air balloon, William Prophett
(Phil's father) included."  (See the Brockton, Mass.
Times for October 31, 1908, "Mysterious Balloon
Over Bridgewater," page 1; the weekly Bridgewater,
Mass. Independent for November 6, 1908, "A
Mysterious Air Ship," page 1; and the New York
Times for November 1, 1908, "Can't Find Strange
Balloon," page 1.  See also THE COMPLETE BOOKS
OF CHARLES FORT, Dover Press, N.Y. 1974,
page 507.)

That's it for this week.  Join us next Sunday for more
saucer news from "the paper that goes home--
UFO ROUNDUP."  Here's wishing our American
readers a happy and safe Halloween.

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1997 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
news items from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites
or in newsgroups provided that they credit the
newsletter and its editor by name and cite the date
of issue in which the item first appeared.

Search for other documents from or mentioning: masinaigan

[ Next Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com