UFO UpDates
A mailing list for the study of UFO-related phenomena
'Its All Here In Black & White'
Location: UFOUpDatesList.Com > 1997 > Oct > Oct 12

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 2, Number 39

From: Masinaigan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 13:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
Fwd Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:33:36 -0400
Subject: UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 2, Number 39

Volume 2, Number 39
October 12, 1997
Editor: Joseph Trainor


     On Monday, October 6, 1997, a startling photograph
from the Mars Global Surveyor was posted on the
Astronomy Picture of the Day website.
     The photo, taken by Surveyor from an altitude of
250 miles (400 kilometers), shows a subsided rift valley
ten miles (16 kilometers) long in the Vallis Nigral region
of Mars.  The rift valley is similar to the one in East
Africa here on Earth.  The rimrock on the valley's rim
shows clear evidence of water erosion.
     Towards the photo's center, just above a square
depression in valley floor, is a line of uniform tracks
extending for an estimated distance of just over two
miles (3.7 kilometers).
     One observer estimated that, based on the
formula that one Surveyor pixel equals 30 feet (9 meters),
the tracks are 415 feet (126 meters) wide.  This
suggests that the tracks were made by an immense
vehicle, perhaps similar to the one used by the Jawas
in the movie "Star Wars."
    The age of the tracks is unknown.  However, it appears
that they are recent and appeared after the great dust
storm on Mars back in the early 1970s.
     The photo can be found at the following URL--
(Many thanks to Twitch and Chris for pointing out this
Surveyor photo.)


     On Thursday, October 9, 1997, the mainstream news
media reported, "Pathfinder, which landed in July, has
become mired in technical problems.  Communications
from its main transmitter resumed Tuesday (October 7)
for 15 minutes after having been shut down since
Sept. 27.  Yesterday (Wednesday, October 8) controllers
tried to get some new engineering data from the
spacecraft but were not able to get a signal from the
transmitter."  (See the Providence, R.I. Journal-Bulletin
for Thursday, October 9, 1997, page 4)
     Pathfinder's last successful transmission was on
Saturday, September 27, at 3:23 a.m.  The next
scheduled transmission was to take place that day at
11:15 p.m. but "no signal was received."
     On Monday, September 29, at 1:30 a.m., the Jet
Propulsion Lab "ordered Pathfinder to send a carrier
signal to Earth on the low-gain and high-gain antennae.
Neither signal was received."
     On Tuesday, September 30, they tried again with
the low-gain antenna.  "The attempt was done at Mars
noon in order to ensure maximum power on the solar
arrays in order to power the S/C transmitter.  No signal
was received."
     When they tried on Wednesday, October 1, there
was no signal at first, "but at approximately 4:23 p.m.
a signal was received that lasted for about 20 minutes."
     On Thursday, October 2, the JPL team attempted
to retrieve digital data from Pathfinder's auxiliary
transmitter.  "The signal turned off at approximately
11:30 (a.m.) solar time."  The team ordered Pathfinder
to divert some data to conserve battery power.  "It is
not clear whether these commands were received."
     On Friday, October 3, the team again tried to pass
digital data through the auxiliary transmitter.  No data
was received.  Commands were then sent "to put
Pathfinder in the safest state possible for a non-
operational battery.  There was no signal indicating that
these commands executed on the S/C."  (Many thanks
to Erik Beckjord and Patrick Bailey for the day-by-day
(Editor's Comment: The battery's insulation could have
been torn loose or otherwise damaged during Pathfinder's
rough landing.  Martian cold may be draining the battery
faster than the solar arrays can replenish it.  Either that,
or something is jamming JPL's radio signals to the


     Brazilian ufologist Vitorio Pacaccini, author of the
book INCIDENTE EM VARGINHA, says he and fellow
ufologists Claudeir Covo and A.J. Gevaerd have their
doubts about Carlos Sousa's story of a UFO crash at
Tres Coracoes on January 13, 1996.
     Sousa claims that he was driving on the Fernando
Dias Highway from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte at
8 a.m. that Saturday morning when he saw a damaged
UFO fly slowly overhead.  He further claims he followed
the object to a farm field 8 kilometers (5 miles) north of
Tres Coracoes, a city 25 kilometers (15 miles) south of
Varginha, Minas Gerais, where he saw Brazilian Army
troops collecting crash debris.
     "I know the highway well," Pacaccini said, "Like the
palm of my hand.  I have been riding on the highway for
over 15 years, going to southern Minas Gerais to visit
my mother.  She lives in Tres Coracoes."
     Pacaccini pointed out that the Fernao Dias Highway
is one of the most heavily traveled thoroughfares in
Brazil, with constant 24-hour traffic between Sao Paulo
(population 8 million) and Belo Horizonte (population
2 million).  He said it's unlikely that the highway would
be deserted on Saturday morning at 8 a.m.
     As he followed the UFO, Pacaccini added, Carlos
Sousa "passed by three big gas stations which are
also bus stops" and right through the industrial district
of Tres Coracoes.  "Why didn't he stop and call somebody
to see the UFO, too?  Were all the places empty, deserted,
nobody there?  That's impossible!"
     Pacaccini added that he personally visited the alleged
crash site, "a big open pasture with only one big tree in the
middle."  From there, one can see three other farms, one
of which belongs to a family friend of Pacaccini's, Senhor
     Pacaccini said Sousa claims to have seen "two army
trucks, one army ambulance, one army helicopter, about
30 soldiers and five or six civilian cars," noting that the
pasture is only 200 meters (660 feet) from the farmhouse
of the owner, Senhor Maiolini.
     "How come nobody heard or saw anything on Mr.
Maoilini's farm, Mr. Laercio's farm or on the other two
farms nearby?" he asked.  "On a Saturday morning, they
were all working, taking care of many farm activities such
as miling the cows, feeding the cattle, cleaning the stables
etc.  I've been there, talking to every person on the farm.
They were all working that day, and they didn't hear or see
anything.  Especially the helicopter, which is a noisy
     Pacaccini noted that "Mr. Carlos Sousa only appeared
in September 1996--after we had released much information
about our research to the press," and alleged that Sousa
used this information "to fit himself into the (Varginha)
story."  (Muito obrigado a Vitorio Pacaccini por eso caso.)


     Irish ufologist Rory Thornton claims that a saucer
from a planet called Sunas crash-landed in a wooded
area north of Boyle, near the border of County Sligo
and County Roscommon, in Eire back in May 1996.
     According to Thornton, a self-described ufologist
and clairvoyant who operates a health clinic in
Newcastle, County Galway, "the full story has been
kept under wraps" by the government in Dublin.
     The UFO "got into trouble and crash-landed in
a woodland" just outside of Boyle, approximately
192 kilometers (120 miles) northwest of Dublin,
Thornton told the newspaper Irish Sunday Mirror.
"It clipped the tops off the trees as it drifted down to
earth.  The whole area was cordoned off by
authorities, and American Jeeps (military vehicles--
J.T.) were still spotted there six months after the
     Thornton "alleges that the local Gardai (Irish
police--J.T.) were told by Dublin government officials
to 'keep their nose out of it.'"
     An unidentified Garda in Boyle told the Irish
Sunday Mirror that "there had been reports of a
landing there last year.  They checked it out but
denied that any landing had taken place."
     "The whole town of Boyle saw something going
over in the sky," Thornton said.  "It happened in a
lonely place.  The aliens misjudged the landing and
hit the tops of the trees before splashing down in
the lake.  The area was blocked off for six months.
Boyle was full of Americans, but they wouldn't say
what they were doing there.  But there were at least
six American Jeeps in the area.  Nobody was allowed
in or out, and there was a guard at the cabin for 24
hours each day."
     Thornton's story was backed up by at least one
resident of Boyle.  "There has been a lot of activity in
the forest," said Padraich O'Hearne.  "The authorities
want to keep it quiet, but there has been so much
activity that it is obvious that something big happened
there that night.  I didn't see the spacecraft, but folks
around Boyle are full of talk about ET and his friends
     Daev Walsh, publisher of the online newsletter
Nua Blather, however, doubts that the Boyle incident
was a saucer crash.  He said it seems "to be more of
a NATO cockup that anything 'extraterrestrial.'"  (See
the Irish Sunday Mirror for September 21, 1997, page 4.
Many thanks to Daev Walsh for forwarding this story.)


     On Sunday, September 28, and on the following
Sunday, October 5, 1997, from 7 to 8 p.m., Mexican
TV anchorman Jaime Maussan aired videotape of a
hovering UFO on his show "Tercera Milenio" (Third
     The videotape was shot on August 6 in a
residential neighborhood of Mexico City.  Twenty-
five seconds of video shows the clearly-detailed UFO
in a cloudy, smoggy sky.  The UFO is gray and
metallic and has no blinking lights.  However, it does
have a strange rotating motion.
     The scene shows the object motionless in the
sky.  Then it moves from left to right on the TV screen,
hovers for many seconds, then zips away at a high
rate of speed.
     For a look at stills from the Mexican UFO video,
go to this URL--http://www.digiserve.com/ufoinfo/news/
     "Tercera Milenio" has a website at this URL--
(Muchas gracias a Fernando Camacho para esas


     On Sunday, September 14, 1997, three flights of
three UFOs each passed over Italy's neighboring island
of Sardinia.  The UFOs flew slowly over the island's
west coast and were seen in the seaport cities of
Sassari, Oristano and Cagliari at 8:30 p.m.
     In Cagliaritano, a few minutes after the first flyover,
people reported seeing "passing in the same direction
about 15 lights of various colors and intensities."  The
case is being investigated by ufologist Antonio Cuccu
of the Centro Italiano di Studi Ufologici (CISU).
     A week later, on Sunday, September 28, 1997, at
3 p.m., ten people having dinner at the Ristorante
Mezzoiuso (cafe) in Palermo, capital and seaport city
on the north shore of Sicily "spotted a black rectangular
object that was emitting a strong light from its stern."
The UFO descended suddenly, seeming to come within
a few dozen feet of the Palermo/Agrigento highway "and
then zipped away at an insane velocity towards the
mountain, leaving behind a luminous trail."  This case is
being investigated by ufologist Antonio Blanco of CISU.
(Grazie a Edoardo Russo di CISU.)


     On Thursday, October 9, 1997, at 12:47 p.m., an
unusual meteor flashed through the sky over El Paso,
Texas, creating a massive explosion that shook homes
from El Paso to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
     Robert Simpson, spokesman for the McDonald
Observatory in Texas, said the explosion was caused
"by what appeared to be a small meteor...about as
bright as the surface of the setting sun."
     The meteor was thought to have impacted in the
West Texas "brush country" desert, south of the Hueco
Mountains, about 30 miles east of El Paso.
    "A police helicopter flying 25 miles east of the city
spotted about an acre of scorched ground that might
be the area where the meteor hit."
     "A police command post was set up in the Organ
Mountains as U.S. Army Reserve helicopters used
infrared sensors to look for pieces of debris from the
object.  What they are looking for is any debris that is
still hot or anything that came off the object."  (Many
thanks to Rebecca Schatte for forwarding this item.)
     "Las Cruces (N.M.) police Sgt. Joel Cano said
the North American Aerospace Defense Command
(NORAD) tracked the object as it entered Earth's
atmosphere until it fell to the ground 30 miles east
of El Paso."  (See Reuters story for October 9, 1997.)
     The explosion triggered "hundreds of calls" to El
Paso police and other law enforcement agencies.
Most witnesses saw a "dark contrail" or "black smoke"
or a "lightning flash in the sky."
(Editor's Comment:  NORAD tracked the "meteor" all
the way down, and then the Army Reserve choppers
scrambled to retrieve it.  I've seen lots of meteors fall,
and I have yet to see a helicopter strike team show
up looking for it afterward.  Does anyone else think
there may be more to this El Paso case than was
reported by AP and Reuters?)


     On Friday, October 3, 1997, at 10:25 p.m., a girl
sighted a UFO near her home in Tucson, Arizona
(population 330,537).  Tucson is located on Highway 10
approximately 117 miles (187 kilometers) southeast of
     Carmen A. was outside when she "noticed these
multi-colored lights flashing.  I looked closely because
I thought it was a plane or a star.  No, it wasn't a plane
or a star.  I got a better look through my dad's binoculars.
It was a round object with lights flashing around it.  Red,
green and white.  It wasn't moving.  I looked at it for
better than 15 minutes."  (USENET Item)


     On October 3, 1997, at 10:23 p.m., Lee M. Droney
of Fargo, North Dakota, was driving on Interstate Highway
I-94 a half-mile (0.8 kilometers) west of Gackle, N.D.
(population 456) when he spied a UFO.
     Droney reported seeing "a meteorite-like object off
to the left appeared to stop and hover...The car radio
seemed to (suddenly) go out of range.  There were other
vehicles on the road at the time which could have seen
the object."  (See Filer's Files #40 for October 10, 1997)
     Gackle is located on North Dakota Highway 46
approximately 126 miles (202 kilometers) southwest
of Fargo.  (Many thanks to George A. Filer of MUFON
for this report.)


     On Tuesday, September 30, 1997, at 10;35 p.m.,
Elizabeth Macready was sitting on her front porch in
Natchez, Mississippi (population 22,015).  Natchez
is a famous Mississippi River town located 72 miles
(119 kilometers) downriver from Vicksburg.
     "While sitting on my porch--I sit every night--I saw
what I thought was a large bright star," Elizabeth
reported.  "I realized at the same time that I had never
seen it before.  It either beamed brightly or moved
forwards, then moved backward to the west and
dropped (into the river--J.T.).  I am on a hill, and the
object was a little above the highest electrical wires.
Sky not too clear."  She described the UFO as a
"white star-shaped bright light."  (Email Interview)


     On Wednesday, October 1, 1997, at 8 p.m.,
CPO Ethelred Sharkey, USN, a veteran of the
Vietnam and Persian Gulf wars, was working at
the Navy Reserve Station in Greenwood, Indiana
(population 19,327), about 12 miles (18 kilometers)
south of Indianapolis.
     Chief Sharkey "was looking to the southeast
and a brightly-lit object 75 to 80 degrees in the sky
caught his attention.  The object looked like a star
but (was) extremely intense and appeared to be
moving upward.  The 'pure white' light was so intense
that he 'couldn't believe it.'"
     "The object stayed in a small area as it continued
moving upward before eventually appearing as nothing
more than a dim star.  The object was at its brightest
for 15 seconds."  Chief Sharkey described the object
as similar to "construction night lights" on a highway
which "blind you to look at them."  (Many thanks to
Kenneth Young of the Tri-States Advocates for
Scientific Knowledge, T.A.S.K., for this report.)


     On Thursday, October 2, 1997, at 2:22 a.m.,
an employee of Kroger Supermarket in Frankfort
(population 25,973), Kentucky's capital city,
spotted something unusual in the sky.
     The man sighted "a light in the sky to the
west of his location."  (i.e. over downtown Frankfort.
Kroger Supermarket is on the east side of the city--
J.T.)  The UFO "moved from side to side so fast that
it left a noticeable streak.  The object departed by
blinking and climbing straight up."
     Frankfort is 23 miles (37 kilometers) northwest
of Lexington, in northern Kentucky.  (Many thanks
to Kenneth Young of T.A.S.K. for this report.)


     On Saturday, October 4, 1997, at 7:15 p.m.,
Jim Hickman "observed an unusual object in the sky
over Elk City, Oklahoma (population 9,579)."  Elk
City is located on Highway 40 approximately
109 miles (174 kilometers) west of Oklahoma City.
     The UFO was also observed by Elk City police,
Hickman reported, "I went outside with my 10X50
binoculars and my camera.  I saw to my southwest
a large bright object that appeared to be roughly
triangular in shape with what I took to be a hole in
the center.  The object was three fingers (10 degrees)
above the horizon at arm's length.  The object was
at least twice as bright as the moon.  I took several
35mm pictures at this time."
     Another UFO appeared at 7:35 p.m. above the
original triangular object.  "The original object did not
move at all during this...Both 'triangles' went slowly
west and disappeared over the horizon."  (Many thanks
to Steve Wilson Sr. for this report.)

from the UFO Files...


     Roswell wasn't the only saucer crash.  Fifty years
ago this week, two men reported seeing a SECOND
downed saucer at Cave Creek, near Phoenix, Arizona.
Here is their story:
     "In early October 1947, 22-year-old Selman Graves
and his 16-year-old brother-in-law Bob Malody were
rabbit-hunting and exploring mines in what is now
known as the Cave Creek Recreational Area north of
     "At one point Graves and Malody climbed to the
top of the most prominent hill in the area and looked
south back at the ranch house of their friend Walt
Salyer.  They could see Salyer's house, his corral,
and even his water tank.  But when Graves looked
west of the property he witnessed a scene that made
no sense then and still haunts him five decades later."
     "What he saw can best be described as 'a large
aluminum dome-shaped thing sitting upright in the
desert,' Graves said, 'I thought it might be some kind
of observatory dome, except why should a dome be
down at that elevation?'"
     "Graves also remembered seeing five men and
two trucks near the dome.  One of the trucks was
of the military (2.5-ton) type, capable of carrying
personnel or equipment.  'But I didn't see any
equipment like cranes or anything like that,' Graves
said, 'And the men didn't seem to be doing any
work.  I could not identify a uniform.'"
     Using Salyer's ranch for size and distance
perception, Graves estimated that the dome was
36 feet (11 meters) in diameter and maybe a mile
     "Graves never considered that he might have
witnessed the crash of an extraterrestrial craft
until 1952, after he read BEHIND THE FLYING
SAUCERS, a book by pioneer ufologist Frank
Scully (no relation to Dana--J.T.).  In the book,
Scully wrote about the Cave Creek incident and
cited an informant who told him that two humanoid
bodies about four and a half feet (1.4 meters) were
retrieved, one sitting inside the craft and the other
halfway out the hatch."  (See the newspaper
Newsday of Melville, N.Y. for July 6, 1997.  Many
thanks to Lou Farrish of UFO Newsclipping Service
for forwarding this news story.)

     That's it for this week.  If you have a UFO news
story to share, email it to us at Masinaigan@aol.com.
Or clip it out of your local newspaper and send it to
UFO ROUNDUP, Box 16, 126 Toll Gate Road,
Warwick, Rhode Island, USA 02886.

     Join us next Sunday for more saucer news from
"the paper that goes home--UFO ROUNDUP."  See
you then!

UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 1997 by Masinaigan
Productions, all rights reserved.  Readers may post
items from UFO ROUNDUP on their websites or in
newsgroups provided that they credit the newsletter
and its editor by name and list the date of issue the
news item first appeared.

Search for other documents from or mentioning: masinaigan

[ Next Message | Previous Message | This Day's Messages ]
This Month's Index |

UFO UpDates Main Index

UFO UpDates - Toronto - Operated by Errol Bruce-Knapp

Archive programming by Glenn Campbell at Glenn-Campbell.com